Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I watched this, an hour of my life I won't get back. It was an utter waste of time, I learned nothing from it. If you were considering watching this don't, watch something worthy of your time. 

He always reminded me of a chia pet that you used to see on TV

commercials

"chi, chi, chi"   something like that the commercial would say.

Honored Contributor

I remember in the QVC Olden Days, when things were a lot different and the whole atmosphere was more relaxed, Richard telling one of the hosts that  he liked to buy Pink Diamonique for his housekeeper because she loved it.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

When they are at home, or with trusted friends and family, they can finally be themselves.    I got the impression Michael Jackson was the same way.   

@Tinkrbl44   "Rita Hayworth once said that “Every man I knew, went to bed with Gilda and woke up with me.”"

Gilda

proxy-image-1.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Thought he was dead

I guess this proves that he's not.

Respected Contributor

@Sweet Kitties wrote:

deeva, I'm not aware of the documentary. Could you please tell me how to find it? I'd really like to watch it. If he really is an introvert, he sure did a good job of hiding it. 

@Sweet Kitties  It is called "What Really Happened To Richard Simmons?"  It is a TMZ Production and I watched it on HULU.  Always enjoyed this man and his excellent exercise and healthy eating programs. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Richard Simmons Special

[ Edited ]

I finally watched this.    It was moderately interesting.  The only ick factor for me  was that "Dr" Phil chimed in a few times.  yick!  But, yeah, as to the 'nothing new' bit of it - I don't really feel like I learned much.  I didn't know that he was an introvert.  Saw a lot of footage I hadn't seen before.

I think while I'm on Hulu I will start on 'The Bear'.  Smiley Happy  Been wanting to see that, anyway, and it seems like I seldom go to one of the streamers because I like either watching recordings or going back and forth on the tuners.  I have 4-tuner Tivos, so I often keep all 4 tuners on channels I watch a lot and go back and forth, watching shows semi-live so I can ff through commercial segments.

Honored Contributor

Re: Richard Simmons Special

[ Edited ]

@Skyegirl21 @He managed to cry or have guests cry on every single show he was on. I have always felt this was so phony. Richard seems nice, but I'll pass on the crying. 

Regular Contributor

I can certainly understand why Richard Simmons would retreat into seclusion in his retirement.  Some of the comments here demonstrate the ugly side of people that he dealt with all his life.

I always found him to be a caring, compassionate and sincere person.  He endured bullying, ridicule and heartache personnaly his entire life, and tried every day to help other people who suffered the same way.  He spent his lifetime trying to help everyone he encountered to better their lives and gain some self worth.  He came up with breakthrough tools to try to assist everyone who struggles with weight issues - from Deal a Meal to Sweating to the Oldies. 

If you have never struggled with your weight, or your looks, good for you; you don't know how blessed you are.  But for people like Richard, or me, or millions of others he was a beacon of light and hope.  We all have endured the cruel treatment that people dish out.  LIfe is hard enough without having to deal with mean spirited people.

It makes me sad that he has retreated from public life, but he certainly deserves to spend his "golden" years however makes him happy.  I'm sure there is a special place for him in heaven.