Honored Contributor

I'd never heard of this but came across it and watching it now.

Dicaprio and Kate Winslet.

Another depressing movie but Dicaprio really does always have such a big presence on the screen. 

kate Winslet is so mostly unlikeable to me so not sure if its her character or the acting but he is the one who carries this depressing movie.

So why in the heck am I watching it?!

I want to know how it ends and once I start, unless really unredeemable, I have to keep watching.

Anyone else ever watched it?

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Revolutionary Road on Roku

@on the bay I thought this was a great movie! Its the kind of movie that "stays with you" for some time. The acting is superb, particularly by Kate Winslet and also by the real estate woman's son. It makes me glad that was born into a different generation....where women have more "choice".... at least for right now.....

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

@on the bay I thought this was a great movie! Its the kind of movie that "stays with you" for some time. The acting is superb, particularly by Kate Winslet and also by the real estate woman's son. It makes me glad that was born into a different generation....where women have more "choice".... at least for right now.....

I liked it too. Kathy Bates was in the movie and she's one of my all time favorite actresses. It is a dark movie but thought provoking and well acted IMO. Very different and it did stay with me for a long time.

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361,

You're right. t probably was like that for a lot of marriages back then. Well now too, I think where everyone thinks everything looks so perfect, but its far from it.

I thought the guy who played Shep, David Harbour was really good.

This reminds me of a modern version of Who's Afraid of Virginia wolf.

I enjoyed reading your opinion on it too!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@on the bay wrote:

I'd never heard of this but came across it and watching it now.

Dicaprio and Kate Winslet.

Another depressing movie but Dicaprio really does always have such a big presence on the screen. 

kate Winslet is so mostly unlikeable to me so not sure if its her character or the acting but he is the one who carries this depressing movie.

So why in the heck am I watching it?!

I want to know how it ends and once I start, unless really unredeemable, I have to keep watching.

Anyone else ever watched it?

@on the bay  My daughter and I seldom like the same movies. Kate did play an odd character but I did like the movie.

Trusted Contributor

The subject matter is sad and the ending is even sadder.
I liked the movie and fear a return to such circumstances.
Honored Contributor

I felt very hollow for days after watching it but it was a well made movie and and the acting was first rate.  

Honored Contributor

Strangely it did make me feel we really really need to try to appreciate what we have. To-

"Don't give into a sea of despair-Be hopeful! Do good things!"-

John Lewis

and

"Do not go gentle into that good night! Rage rage against the dying of the light!"-Dylan Thomas.

And that just doesn't mean dying now to me, but that black hole of sadness or feeling sorry for  ourselves, or all the sad things over and over in our minds.

And I do love Kathryn Hahn (Milly) as an actress!

And I think you are right @Goldengate8361. It is a movie that stays with you. 

There are some that do that.

Silver Linings was like that for me and the original Twin Peaks.

Respected Contributor

I've seen this thought-provoking movie. I think Kate's character felt trapped in a woman's defined role in that decade, and she wanted more. I also think that the character was a smart woman who knew the risk of the action she took at the end and decided to act anyway in her desperate need for change.