Honored Contributor

Re: Retired D.C. NBC Anchor Wendy Rieger Now in Hospice Care

[ Edited ]

News anchors on both local and National news become such a part of our daily lives....like a family member. So sad she is going through this. 😞

Honored Contributor

I was so sad to hear about Bruce Johnson recently.  He was a wonderful presence in the DMV.

I heard about Wendy Rieger yesterday and once again I shed a tear.  There are a small number of TV journalists that make a great impact on the community.  Knowing she had just married and retired, I had hoped she would be able to enjoy many more lovely experiences. 

Prayers for her and her family & friends.

Honored Contributor

Sadly, the form of cancer she has doesn't have any promising outcome.  I can't recall when she had her brain surgery, but I'm wondering if she knew what a short time she had left.  That is so sad.  I'd never heard of that form of cancer.  I've watched her for so many years.  Watched her send-off when she retired.  Prayers go out to her.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

One of the things I admired about Wendy as a broadcast journalist was her seeming capacity to report the news without becoming overly opinionated. Something her apparent pal, Doreen, ought to try to emulate. Very sorry to hear of Wendy's situation.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not long ago, a beloved Atlanta TV news anchor, Jovita Moore, died at age 54 not long after being diagnosed with glioblastoma brain cancer.  It's a fast-moving killer once diagnosed and certainly is not rare.

One of my neighbor's relatively young brothers recently died of the same cancer.  It does not respect age as to whom and when it hits.  Very sorry to hear about Wendy.

I vividly recall Wendy Rieger's and Bruce's TV presence after living almost all my life in the Wash DC area before moving to the Atlanta area.

Honored Contributor

stevieb, when Wendy retired, the staff thought about who should write her send-off script and concluded that since she was the most talented writer in their stable, she should be the one.  It was odd, but she managed to pen something that was heartfelt without being maudlin in the least.  She's a professional through and through. 

Regarding Doreen, I've grown accustomed to her.  What I'll never forget is how inaccurate I was in calling who would be chosen to fill that seat -- Doreen or Dave Marash.

Figuratively, I bet the farm on Marash.  There was no contest.  I remember insisting that no one would be able to stomach Doreen, especially when there was such an accomplished journalist as Dave available.  I predicted Doreen would not last long. 

How many decades  ago did Doreen take that seat?  Boy, that was one of my biggest misfires ever!  

Honored Contributor

novamc1I wish I had known you had just posted.  While I was writing my latest post on this thread, you put up your post.  Had I known, I would have waited a while so that your post was the last and, therefore, the first one read.

Your post has made me wonder if the mics or other apparatus that broadcast journalists use in their line of work have a deleterious effect on some.

Who knows...  With all the "networks" blasting power all over the place, we might all be at risk to some degree.  Our cell phones might be causing all sorts of harm without our knowing it.

Regular Contributor

@Daisy Sunflower wrote:

Interesting. I was just reading an article (NY Post) from yesterday that said nearly 100 former students/staff at a NJ high school got glioblastoma -- a rare brain tumor.

I graduated from the High School that's been on the news. It's very concerning. There are now 103 former students and staff who have developed brain tumors that went or worked at this high school from 1972 to 2000. I graduated in that time frame. The man who started the investigation recently lost his sister to Gliobastoma and him and his wife who both also went to this high school have had brain tumors. I pray they find out what is causing this.

Regular Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Daisy Sunflower wrote:

Interesting. I was just reading an article (NY Post) from yesterday that said nearly 100 former students/staff at a NJ high school got glioblastoma -- a rare brain tumor.

@Daisy Sunflower  Looking at land not far away where there was a uranium factory for the Manhattan Project. Might be landfill from there under the school. Read about this today.

This was the high school I graduated from. Very concerning and so sad for the people who have had brain tumors. They are up to 103 during the years 1972-2000. I graduated during that time period. I pray they find what is causing so many to have these brain tumors. 

Honored Contributor

One of my good friends passed away from this exact brain tumor, she was just 49.  It was devastating watching her go through it.  They did do surgery and she was fine for 6 months but then it got worse.  She was in a nursing home paralyzed after suffering a seizure.  When I went to visit her she looked at me and rolled her eyes as if she were saying "can you  believe this?"  We have to cherish every day as tomorrow is not promised to us.