Honored Contributor

Rest in Peace - Gregory Sierra

Gregory Sierra dead

Variety Reports:

Gregory Sierra, best known for his roles as Sgt. Miguel “Chano” Amanguale on Barney Miller and Julio Fuentes on Sanford and Son, died on Jan. 4 in Laguna Woods, Calif., according to Orange County Health Dept. records. He was 83.

The New York-born-and-raised actor, of Puerto Rican descent, found success in his recurring role as Fred G. Sanford’s neighbor. His career remained steady through the end of the ’90s, often finding Sierra playing law enforcement roles. He appeared on “Miami Vice,” “Murder, She Wrote,” “Hill Street Blues” and “MacGyver.” His TV roles included guest spots on “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” and “The X-Files.”

Before making it to “Sanford and Son,” Sierra had ties to Norman Lear. He appeared in one episode of the beloved sitcom “All in the Family” as Paul Benjamin, a Jewish extremist. Paul and Archie Bunker strike up a friendship after someone paints a swastika on the family’s front door. Paul offers the Bunkers protection, but is ultimately killed in a car bomb. It’s the only episode with no audience applause to close out the show.

In “The Towering Inferno,” he played Carlo the bartender, and appeared as a mutant called Verger in “Beneath the Planet of the Apes.” His other film roles included “Papillon,” “Honey, I Blew Up the Kid” and Orson Welles’ “The Other Side of the Wind.”

As a resident of Laguna Woods, he starred in a local production of the play “See How They Run” in 2009. “Any role is demanding if you put yourself through a process,” Sierra told the Orange County Register at the time. “Because you expect something of yourself.”

He is survived by his wife, Helene.

Barney Miller' star Gregory Sierra dies at 83 | News Break

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Re: Rest in Peace - Gregory Sierra

I remember him so well from the All in Family episode, he gave an outstanding performance. 

Respected Contributor

Feeling old as I am familiar with those who have recently passed.  There was a time when this wasn't true. 

We have been watching the reruns of Barney Miller.  Mr. Sierra was terrific in his role, as was all the cast.  I have never seen the episode of All in the Family that is mentioned. I'll  be on the lookout for it. 

May he Rest In Peace.  

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Trusted Contributor

😢 I always liked him. 😔

Trusted Contributor

I remember him also from Sanford and Son. He was the Sanfords’ neighbor Julio with a pet goat Chico; he was a semi-regular. Good actor.
Honored Contributor

Birdmama

Thanks for the article on Gregory.  I remember him well especially in Barney Miller among other sit coms.  Losing so many TV personalities who were part of our entertainment is sad and Gregory left his mark in making us laugh.  

May he be with God and know he gave those of us who enjoyed him on TV the gift of laughter.

Esteemed Contributor

While his name meant nothing to me, I remember him well from tv.  I always enjoyed his work,  RIP Gregory Sierra.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama Have always like him in so many things. Never watched Sanford much but he was in an old episode of  The Waltons on which he played a member of a band of gypsies who spent some time on the Walton property.

He was always excellent and loved him on Barney Miller.

Esteemed Contributor

As "Carlos", a bartender in The Towering Inferno, here with Robert Vaughn and William Holden. 

7.jpg

Honored Contributor

And there goes yet another piece of our personal history.

Godspeed. Heart

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~