Respected Contributor

Re: Resident Alien NEW SERIES 2021

Show creator and executive producer Chris Sheridan joined Den of Geek to unpack what the finale means, and how it sets the stage for the next season of Resident Alien.

Den of Geek: Harry encountered the Alien Hunter, played by Terry O’Quinn, who is a high caliber guest star. Were you laying the groundwork to do more with him next season?

Chris Sheridan: We would be lucky to have Terry O’Quinn come back. There’s more to be done with that character. There’s a reason we started the episode the way we did [with a flashback to New York City in 1991, when his unborn child is abducted]. What we’d like to do is create a little bit of backstory that sort of lingers there until we find a time that we could go back to it. At this point, what we’ve set up is the only person he knows of that might be able to answer the questions that he has is Harry Vanderspeigle. I’d like a scenario in which he comes back if we can make that happen.

The reveal that the real Harry killed Sam Hodges was a big surprise. Was that plotted from the beginning?

That was the plan from day one. When I pitched the show, I pitched that concept and Alan was the only actor that knew it before reading the tenth script. At the beginning of the pilot, when Harry’s in the living room, and the door opens up with what we find out now was the alien coming in, he grabs the poker and he says, “Who’s in here?” I told him the real story: The real Harry Vanderspeigle just killed Sam Hodges, and thinks the person or something that came in the house is related to that. Is it the people who got him to do it, or were involved in that somehow, and he thinks they’re there to sort of take you out now as well?

Does this all connect to why the real Harry left New York City?

It’s all tied into what Harry was involved in. The way I structured the first two seasons in a general sense was the first season would be about who killed Sam Hodges, and the search for that, and then the second season would be about why. I want to explore, in the second season, the town story. Why did he do it? What was going on in the town? What was going on behind the scenes that we didn’t see, that we didn’t know about.

You also set up a larger world here with Linda Hamilton, and these not-quite Men In Black. Are you expanding the scope of the show for the second season?

I would say no. These shows are sort of living organic creatures, and you have to feed them in the way they want to be fed. If things aren’t working, you pivot and go towards something that works. The balance of the show is working pretty well right now, so I don’t want to put aside the balance, and go away from the town stories to go more into the government. The balance is working pretty well, so I’m going to try to keep the balance the way it is.

Which is not to say that the government story is over.

I always saw the show as trying to thread two storylines through the whole thing. One is the town’s storyline which is. If the alien never arrived, this town story would play out and would be interesting to watch. And then I have the alien story, which is Harry’s journey. What I always want to have in the show is the alien story playing at the same time that the town’s story is playing, and how those two intermingle, and Harry’s journey towards learning what it’s like to be human. I definitely want to move forward with the government story. And I would love to have Linda Hamilton back. She is amazing, but I think the balance right now is working pretty well.

We know Nathan Fillion’s Octopus alien is on earth. And the folks back home on Harry’s planet are probably going to find out he failed in his mission. Might more of his people, or even other aliens, enter the scene?

Your instincts are very good. It’s a natural way to go, isn’t it? Whether it’s season 2 or not, I can’t tell you mainly because I don’t know yet. If it’s going to be in the show, there’s a perfect time for that to happen. I can’t honestly tell you I know it’s the perfect time for that as yet … But look, I’m with you. In writing the show, and running it, and I’m part of it as a fan as well, I want the coolest thing to happen. And that is a move that would make sense, you’d think.

Can you tease how the dynamics between characters might change as more people learn about Harry, and the story evolves?

There’s a new relationship that’s going to happen between Dan Twelvetrees and Harry because now Dan knows who he is. So there’s someone else that Harry can talk to. The advantage of having a couple more people know is I can get away from the voiceover a little bit, and go into more conversations that Harry has with people about humanity.

Which means Harry, despite his choice not to kill all humans, has not fully embraced his humanity?

When Harry feels completely human and understands what it’s like to be human, I think the show’s over. What’s fun about the show is Harry being uncomfortable with [humanity], Harry not knowing what it’s like to be human, Harry acting like a 10 year-old, and being confused about it, and Harry still having contempt for humans. One thing I have to be careful about is making sure that Harry’s journey towards full self-reflection and awareness of his own humanity doesn’t go too fast. He’s one foot in, one foot out. He’s not a 100 percent sure he’s not going to kill everybody. Where we left it at the end of Episode 10 is, he still wants to kill everyone. He just knows he can’t because then he’d have to kill Asta too. She’s the one person he doesn’t want to kill.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lmt wrote:

@AuntG   I also thought is was alien Harry that killed Sam. I can't wait to see why human Harry killed him.

@lmt 

Why would alien Harry kill Sam? I don't see a motive there.

But I think human Harry killed Sam b/c human Harry, or someone close to human Harry, wanted Sam's job for whatever reason. 

I also think human Harry didn't act alone in killing Sam.  

Honored Contributor

@lmt 

Thanks for posting the interview. DH & I really like this show. 

Respected Contributor

I enjoyed the last episode of the season and will look forward to season 2.

By the way, there is a blooper reel on You Tube for anyone that wants to watch (not sure if it's okay to post the link).

Honored Contributor

@sueinsf wrote:

I enjoyed the last episode of the season and will look forward to season 2.

By the way, there is a blooper reel on You Tube for anyone that wants to watch (not sure if it's okay to post the link).

@sueinsf 

I just watched that blooper reel and it's hilarious! LOL! Thanks for that. LOL!!

Super Contributor

At the start of the episode there was a clue it was not Alien Harry. In the Drs. office he looks in the mirror and we see Human Harry. Alien Harry would have seen Alien Harry. This mirror technique has been used several other times in the show as well.

Respected Contributor

@MildredM wrote:

At the start of the episode there was a clue it was not Alien Harry. In the Drs. office he looks in the mirror and we see Human Harry. Alien Harry would have seen Alien Harry. This mirror technique has been used several other times in the show as well.

@MildredM   Good catch! How did I miss that?

I know how . . . I'm too tired. I wish the show aired at 8 or 9 pm. Anything later than that is dicey in how my brain functions, LOL!!  Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

@wilma   You're welcome!

My DH likes the show, too. I wasn't sure he would, but he got right into it.