Esteemed Contributor

I never watched it when it was on but recently caught an episode, well, one half of one. I had to switch channels, House is one of the  most horrid human beings I've seen on TV.

I think my orotho Dr. is an arrogant, curt SOB.  House makes him look good and that says something.

Respected Contributor

Re: Reruns of House

[ Edited ]

If you follow the series, you learn he is a brilliant, but very complicated man. Lots of baggage and demons in his closet. His performances were actually outstanding. 

I found myself hating him one minute, admiring him the next, or feeling sorry for him. Sometimes all of those feelings at once.

I enjoyed the series a lot, but, yes, the vibes from him were very narcissistic, while being unable to mask a hostile, dark, and depressive mindset.

Deep inside, he loathed himself. But, in spite of himself, he performed moments of medical magic.

Honored Contributor

I agree with @BlueFinch 

Not sure what episode you watched but so often House had to be obtuse to challenge his team as well as his patients.  And Hugh Laurie is a brilliant actor.

I loved the series, I still watch sometimes.

My favorite arc was the one with Ann Dudek as Amber.   She was incredible and the episodes with House in the bus wreck were riveting.

There were some great actors, I also loved the arc with Sela Ward.

You either  like a show or not.    No biggie

Respected Contributor

Just know, that as an RN, there is nothing remotely accurate about the medical system as portrayed in the show!  Diagnosis is NOT made like that.

I didn't watch it until it was in reruns.  I liked it sometimes.  "House" was a very complex character!!

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

Just know, that as an RN, there is nothing remotely accurate about the medical system as portrayed in the show!  Diagnosis is NOT made like that.

I didn't watch it until it was in reruns.  I liked it sometimes.  "House" was a very complex character!!

Hyacinth

Maybe they should be.

House was always presented with difficult, unusual and uncommon cases.

So you must have experience in that area of medicine.

I am not a medical person but I was employed at a medical school in a university teaching hospital.   The concept of House and his team is not too terribly far from the truth.   Some of the episodes were contrived & simplified.