Honored Contributor

Rented and watched "Big Little Lies" over weekend 9/24/17

There are several discussions about this HBO series on the boards here.

Oh, we were glued to the set watching this series!

I will try to read the opinions expressed in the other discussions by previous posters.

What did you think?

Will there be another season?

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Re: Rented and watched "Big Little Lies" over weekend 9/24/17

@LTT1 Go over and read the various posts made (several started) on this show.

Be sure to comment on what YOU thought about it.  I'm curious as I always enjoy your comments.....

Honored Contributor

I live in the area where most of the series was filmed and there is a lot of local interest in getting the writer to write more stories and the producers to come back!  I hope they do.  

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

I think I heard Nicole Kidman say that one of the main concepts presented was "domestic abuse."

While that is true, I really think underlying concepts (maybe more important) were insecurity in one's self and the major problems it engenders between family members, friends and community.

We have to fix ourselves first in order to raise healthy children and maintain healthy marriages.

The way family ties were presented -- having a child with a step-brother/sister and two divorced remarried parents in the SAME SCHOOL AND SAME GRADE -- well, I just don't think I could maintain my sanity!

Celebrity relationships and families seem to be so messed up and I can see why.

Another theme I noticed was "unhealthy competition." It was just everywhere, except maybe the children who mostly had it a lot more together than their parents.

This show really unnerved me and I found it upsetting. I discussed the topic of "submissive wives" with my DH. I asked him if I was a "Reese Witherspoon" and he laughed and assured me that he would let me know if I ever became one!

Thsnk you for reading my posts --- I seek yours out too!

Honored Contributor

My daughter loved it, but said many of her friends had given up on it.

Respected Contributor

I loved it.  I thought Nicole Kidman was wonderful.  I was very happy she won the Emmy, along with Alexander Skaarsgard who played her husband.  Their performances were outstanding.  It really kept you guessing too as to who the victim was until the last episodes.

Respected Contributor

After the Emmy's I also binge watched Big Little Lies. I was blown away by it. The storyline and acting were phenomenal. It brought home how domestic violence cuts across socio-economic lines as well as goes into some of the psychology of why women stay in these relatiionships. 

I can't see it as a series as the story was pretty well wrapped up at the end and most ofk  the cast are motion picture actors so scheduling would be almost impossible. I will read the book and check out others by the same author.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@Annabellethecat66

I think I heard Nicole Kidman say that one of the main concepts presented was "domestic abuse."

While that is true, I really think underlying concepts (maybe more important) were insecurity in one's self and the major problems it engenders between family members, friends and community.

We have to fix ourselves first in order to raise healthy children and maintain healthy marriages.

The way family ties were presented -- having a child with a step-brother/sister and two divorced remarried parents in the SAME SCHOOL AND SAME GRADE -- well, I just don't think I could maintain my sanity!

Celebrity relationships and families seem to be so messed up and I can see why.

Another theme I noticed was "unhealthy competition." It was just everywhere, except maybe the children who mostly had it a lot more together than their parents.

This show really unnerved me and I found it upsetting. I discussed the topic of "submissive wives" with my DH. I asked him if I was a "Reese Witherspoon" and he laughed and assured me that he would let me know if I ever became one!

Thsnk you for reading my posts --- I seek yours out too!

@LTT1, the other themes you outline recur in all of Liane Moriarty's books.  All of her novels deal with competition among women, navigating marriage and kids, divorce, insecurity, community, always among relatively well-off suburban Australian women.  

"Big Little Lies" has the unique theme of domestic abuse not shared by the other books.  I've found people who didn't read the book didn't get the full impact of the ending.  They made some other changes, mostly to Reese's character.  Although you know who did what to whom, I still recommend the book.

Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

I live in the area where most of the series was filmed and there is a lot of local interest in getting the writer to write more stories and the producers to come back!  I hope they do.  

@september, I hope they don't.  I would not like them to go beyond the book, as it is they made a few changes that I think were not improvements.  The only change I think was okay was moving it from Sydney because everyone but Nicole would have had to do accents.

Nicole & Reese have bought the rights to another Liane Moriarty book, "Truly Madly Guilty."  Hopefully they focus on that.  It's her weakest book and changes to this one would no doubt be welcomed by Liane's millions of fans.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LoriLori@reiki604@meem120@Shelbelle@september

@Annabellethecat66

DH and I have shared conversations about some of the topics in this series.

Spoiler

The conversation DH and I had over the weekend concerned raising a child born of rape as portrayed by Jane and Ziggy in the series. 
I had never thought much about this topic --- for instance, " The Family Tree" school project. (I hope they don't do these in school any more.)
How you would be reminded of the situation every moment of every day, nearly. It is just too painful to even think about.