Esteemed Contributor

Re: Reminder HGTV's White House Christmas Dec 15 @ 5:00

There is most definitely a creche on display:

Bordered by two evergreen trees is a 300-year-old crèche, a carved wood and terra cotta creation from Naples, Italy.

The colorful nativity set was first loaned to the White House during the Kennedy administration by Jane Engelhard, the widow of husband Charles, an American businessman who enjoyed great success in international mining and metals.

The crèche became the official property of the White House in 1967 during the Johnson administration when the family announced the loan had become a gift. It’s been displayed annually ever since.

Valued Contributor

Thank you so much for providing that information @Johnnyeager . Very interesting.

Respected Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

There is most definitely a creche on display:

Bordered by two evergreen trees is a 300-year-old crèche, a carved wood and terra cotta creation from Naples, Italy.

The colorful nativity set was first loaned to the White House during the Kennedy administration by Jane Engelhard, the widow of husband Charles, an American businessman who enjoyed great success in international mining and metals.

The crèche became the official property of the White House in 1967 during the Johnson administration when the family announced the loan had become a gift. It’s been displayed annually ever since.

I just saw your post @Johnnyeager . I posted about this in community chat Re: White House Christmas Decorations 

Smiley HappySmiley Wink

2019 White House Christmas Decorations

Related image

The Engelhard family searched for years for it and donated additional pieces in 1978. 

Regular Contributor

Thanks to all who showed the manger.  Guess it's time for new glasses.Smiley Happy  It would have been nice if it was mentioned.

Valued Contributor

Thanks for posting these pictures @MorningLover !

Honored Contributor

Well, I finally got to finish watching my recording of the show.  There's no other word for it than dazzling.

The fact that they have Gold Star parents decorating the tree that honors the fallen, is so appropriate.  The parents felt so honored to do so, and for a few moments they were able to talk about their children and bring them to life for a national audience.  Very sacred moment, that makes you cry.