Respected Contributor

Re: Remembering days of Old.... memories.

Oh, yes, Dr. Kildare.  Don't forget Ben Casy....man, woman, birth, death and infinity.  I thought that was so cool and made sure to memorize them.

I think my favorite old shows are Mary Tyler Moore and The Fugitive...loved them both and never missed an episode.

Ahhh, the good old days!

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

The ******  Van ****** Show...  That was such a good entertainment half hour back then!

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@SeaMaiden

Your post reminded me of this old saying....

'The good old days. I was there. Where was they?'

Moms Mabley

Omgosh I LOVED Moms Mabley!  Watch her on youtube sometimes.

Respected Contributor

Thank goodness  for all the retro channels available now. That's about all I watch starting with Ozzie and Harriet and thru to the Waltons and everthing in between. Takes me from this world gone crazy now to a time that was more innocent and enjoyable. Who knows, maybe our folks felt that way about our veiwing choices back then.

Respected Contributor

If you have Amazon Prime and get a Fire Stick (ours was like $30) you are in for a treat.

There are several "free channels" that have many shows mentioned, and some I had totally forgotten about (I'm 65).

Life of Riley, One Step Beyond, The Real McCoys...It's fun watching some of those old shows.

Denise
Honored Contributor

Mr. Ed....and Green Acres....silly funny nonsensical comedy....but it was great!

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

OK.. so I am showing my age here...63 

I was watching an infomercial selling the tapes of a  the long ago TV show last night while channel surfing..... This  infomercial  was selling DVD's of     The Andy Williams show from 1962.... you know how you click onto a channel and sit there for a while and watch it while you are channel surfing....  I watched that infomercial for about a half hour....   and really enjoyed that half hour!

I had forgotten all about  Andy Williams...   his music... and as I sat there watching clips of his broadcast show.... I realized what a great singer he was!  And so nice looking!  And the show was very  much musical and comedy... lots of stars came on    and sang... Judy garland... the Osmond Brothers... Peggy Lea... Roy Rogers and on and on.... I almost  got to thinking how much I would like to have the DVD's of this show just to hear the music and see the old stars perform on the show.

That got me thinking to all the great shows  that were on at that time  I was growing up in the 1960's and into the 1970's.... Carol Burnett show, Donny and Marie Show....  Sonny and Cher.... So many Christmas shows.... lots of musical programs  etc.  Huge productions.  Many of them seen  on our little 13 inch black and white TV.

Now I know that today' s youth would think these types of shows would be dumb and stupid most likely... perhaps we were more innocent back then... laughed a bit easier and enjoyed just plain entertainment for entertainments value.   I do  not think that the music or the talent is less.... I really believe that our MINDSET as to what it takes to entertain us has shifted.... or perceptions of entertainment is so much more complicated... and less simple. 

I guess what this thread is to say is that I really miss SIMPLE.  I really miss having a deep laught at something silly just to laugh on TV........and I feel sorry for this next generation  not knowing  how to watch a simple show like Laugh In and just laugh at all the silly antics just because you can... 

Where did THAT GO?

AMEN, @SeaMaiden!  DH and I always say we grew up at the best time...best tv, best music, people were good to one another, citizens were genuinely patriotic, kids were safe, life was simple.  

My DH and I saw the Donny & Marie Christmas Show recently.  I was so thrilled when I learned they would be somewhat local because I know we'll probably never go to Vegas.  They were great!  Donny did a touching rendition of Moon River with video of he & his brothers with Andy playing behind him.  It made me tear up.  And speaking of Andy Williams, Jimmy Osmond is doing a show called "Moon River & Me" which highlights Andy and the Osmond Brothers.  We already have front row tickets to see it next year.  

Contributor

I TiVo "my 3 sons" every day!   I watch a lot of ME TV.  also TiVo "coach".

Trusted Contributor

I miss those shows from my youth. I'm 64 yrs. old and those were great memories, probably why I'm still drawn to them on ME tv, and INSP.

Honored Contributor

Hold onto your hats........three nights ago, I watched the whole 1/2 hour of Route 66.  I remember the Nelson Riddle music too.  

Good writers are badly needed.  There's been many good books.  If they can't come up with good show writers, they need to visit the libraryfor some human interest stories.

JMPO