Honored Contributor

Re: Remember the TV series Thirty Something(1987-1991)?

@SeaMaiden - Thank you for posting this! I LOVED that show! I related to the character of Ellyn, because I too swam every day. But I was married, and she was not. Most of the stars have gone on to other things. As @Shelbelle said Ken Olin IS This is Us. Polly Draper, who played Ellyn, is the mom of The Naked Brothers Band boys. Melanie Mayron, who played Melissa, is a successful director too. She directed some episodes of Army Wives, another one of my all-time favorites. I remember Mel Harris, who played Hope, was married to (and later divorced from) the official White House photographer. And Peter Horton (Gary) was married to Michelle Pfeiffer at the time! 

At the time this show seemed so real. I think every wife can relate to not shaving her legs one day and hoping her husband doesn't notice (Nancy and Elliot). There were many scenes like this. I like the way the show handled the interfaith marriage of Hope and Michael. 

I really, really liked the show, and was devastated when Gary died. But I thought it was neat near the end when he "showed up" at Ellyn's wedding and told Micheal that Melissa (his cousin) would be OK and she was going to marry Lee and have a great kid! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

It's too bad that they don't reshow the original series. I'd love to watch it again. Not interested in any reprisal. 

I remember this show a little.  I do remember Gary's character had one of ladies after him I think?  I do remember hearing jokes on TV about the show and how they whined about everything lol.  It will be interesting.  Maybe they will re run the original to refresh everyones memory.

I would like to see Sisters come back.  I really enjoyed that show.  They would sit in the sauna and solve all of their problems lolSmiley Happy

Loved,loved Sisters!! George Clooney before he was famous!!

Melissa Steadman on 30 Something always loved Gary, but he was not interested in her. He did get married towards end of the show, actress was Patricia Kalember who went on to be Georgie on Sisters!!

Thanks for that refresherSmiley Happy

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I did like that show a lot. One of my faves,

I don't understand doing these remake shows period. A show had it's time.

Guess it takes too much brain power to come up with a good concept these days..,..

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

I had forgotten about this show and it was a favrite of mine!  I never missed it.  I would like to watch a couple episodes of it again to see what I think of it now.  Probably would not love it at all.  I agree and have written about this before --- am tired of all the re-makes of shows and movies.  Time to move on and come up with new and fresh ideas.  People seem to think they can improve and do better what was already done.  Wrong!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I used to love the show when it was current!...I too was a "Thirtysomething" way back when I also had a baby living in the Philly suburbs!

Yes today it would be "Sixtysomething".

Looking forward to seeing this new show!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I remember that the series ended very abruptly, and there was no closure in the final episode. The writers said they were not told ahead of time it was ending. 

Valued Contributor

Oh, I forgot about this series too!  I was a young wife and momma, new home, new career and I remember my neighbor and I would walk after dinner and would discuss the show!  We were barely 30 then.....  

I'd tune in, there is not much that interests me on TV anymore!  Used to love the nighttime Soaps, Knots, Dallas, Flamingo Road, what was the one that followed Dallas on Friday nights?  My husband and I always watched these shows!  Some good memories!

Trusted Contributor

@Fifi1 Falcon Crest. I loved those night time soaps! Also Dynasty and The Colbys.

Valued Contributor

@FlyersGirl wrote:

@Fifi1 Falcon Crest. I loved those night time soaps! Also Dynasty and The Colbys.

YES!  Me too!  

Valued Contributor

I might be alone in this thinking, but I haven't ever liked any show or great movie either hardly, that has been been remade.   I've tried too, but just cant seem to enjoy themCat Indifferent