Honored Contributor

Re: Remember "The Valley of the Dolls"????

@qbetzforreal   The Best of Everything was a much better movie.  I always felt that Patty Duke was mis-cast in Dolls.  Patty was too all American in her looks for the part. IMO

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Judaline   I just replied to someone about Patty Duke being mis-cast and then I read your reply.  Patty Duke was the all American girl and the role needed a very pretty, sexy, career climber, back stabbing gal that is, one that could really play the part of a back stabber.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As for more casting gossip, it's been said the studio wanted Raquel Welch in the role that ultimately went to Sharon Tate but that she refused, wanting the Neely role that went to Patty Duke. The bosses weren't willing to cast her in that role, so she opted out altogether and Tate was hired to play Jennifer whle Duke played Neely and phenom at the time, Barbara Parking played Anne. There was also a TV version of this book made in the 80's with a predominantly TV cast, though Jeanne Simmons played the Helen Lawson role.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

The book was great racy for the time!  Loved it.  The movie was a big letdown after the book.

Honored Contributor

Yes.  NO thanks!!!

Respected Contributor

@Shawnie "The book was great racy for the time!  Loved it.  The movie was a big letdown after the book."

Barbara Parkins said in the movie commentary that in the book Neely's second husband was found in the swimming pool with another man.  In the movie it was changed to a woman.  Parkins said that it would be thought too scandalous to have Neely's husband having an affair with a man so they changed the affair with a woman for the movie.

Honored Contributor

Barbara Parkins was stunning as the classy, Anne Wells

Frequent Contributor

I enjoyed the book, and saw the movie when it first came out, I agree with everyone on the poor casting of Neely......I have recorded the movie and will enjoy watching it again after all these years

Respected Contributor

Oh yeah, I remember reading the book ages ago and really enjoyed the book.  Books are usually always better than the movies because your own imagination plays a big part.

I did watch the movie when it was shown on TCM a week or so ago.  I hadn't seen it since ages ago but it all came back to me.  Gosh Judy Garland in that part would have made it all the more campier and more fantastic.

I thought Patty Duke while maybe being miscast, did the part really well.  I always liked her.  And that theme song being sung thru out the entire movie added to the mood of the whole picture.

I really enjoyed it, but it'll be awhile before I want to see it again.  I enjoyd the 60's fashions as well and hairdo's.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Valued Contributor

@Mz iMac  Can you please change your Avatar? I'm highly susceptible to seizures and I can't read any of the threads you comment on because it immediately makes me dizzy. No offense at all, I wish I could tolerate it, but I can't. I'm not demanding it, just a request. Than you :-)