Esteemed Contributor

Remake of Dirty Dancing on ABC in May

JUst saw a ad for this upcoming made for TV remake.  LOts of luck to whoever is trying to reprise PAtrick Swayze's role.  Sorry but no one can do what the Swayze did in that role.

Honored Contributor

Re: Remake of Dirty Dancing on ABC in May

You got that right @KathyPet!! 

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

[sarcasm]Just what we need, another redo of a classic.[/sarcasm] Can't anyone write an original story line any more ?

Esteemed Contributor

Swayze OWNS that role and always will !!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

I have to say, when I heard "they" were doing a remake of "Dirty Dancing", I had exactly the same reaction.  No one is ever going to fill Patrick Swayze's dancing shoes for this film.

I saw a brief thing about it on some TV show.  They showed the girl who's going to play Baby and I honestly thought it was a spoof.  They showed the scene in the lake.  She seemed (and I'm not trying to be rude or judgmental here) rather heavy.  All I could think of was that final lift at the end of the film!  Not sure what point they're trying to make or whether maybe she'll lose weight as the film progresses.

Either way, it's a definite miss for me.

Valued Contributor

My question is why? They can't improve on it and I agree nobody can do as well as Patrick Swayze.

Abigail Breslin is going to play baby. Doesn't seem like a good fit for that role. 

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” Abraham Lincoln
Trusted Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

I have to say, when I heard "they" were doing a remake of "Dirty Dancing", I had exactly the same reaction.  No one is ever going to fill Patrick Swayze's dancing shoes for this film.

I saw a brief thing about it on some TV show.  They showed the girl who's going to play Baby and I honestly thought it was a spoof.  They showed the scene in the lake.  She seemed (and I'm not trying to be rude or judgmental here) rather heavy.  All I could think of was that final lift at the end of the film!  Not sure what point they're trying to make or whether maybe she'll lose weight as the film progresses.

Either way, it's a definite miss for me.

I saw that, too and thought the same thing. 

Honored Contributor

Any "remake" of Dirty Dancing is sure to be a flop

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

I do think that Debra Messing as the Mom will be very good in that role. The other casting - will have to wait and see

Trusted Contributor

I don't need a remake of Dirty Dancing!  I still love to watch the original whenever it is shown on tv!! Woman Wink