Trusted Contributor

I was thinking about how there are so many movies that I regularly discover were either a remake, an earlier movie with the same type story but a different name, or a film based on a story that was very popular, but I never made the correlation between the two.  Shakespeare is a good example.  "West Side Story" was based on "Romeo & Juliet,"  "10 Things I Hate About You" is based on "The Taming of the Shrew,"  and even the TV series, "Empire" is based on "King Lear."  

Many young folks may not realize that when "A Star Is Born" starring Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper is released in the spring that there are already 3 different versions of the film.  

"You've Got Mail" is the most interesting to me.  This story started as a play, "Parfumerie," became a movie, "The Shop Around the Corner," 9 years later became another movie, "In the Good Old Summertime," and was then another play, this time a musical, called "She Loves Me" before it ended up as "You've Got Mail."  

Anyone have any other examples?

Honored Contributor

They are remaking A Star is Born?????  Although I think Lady Gaga is a talented singer, why do they keep remaking these movies?  Good grief!!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Recycling and Remakes

[ Edited ]

@castlenv wrote:

They are remaking A Star is Born?????  Although I think Lady Gaga is a talented singer, why do they keep remaking these movies?  Good grief!!!!

It's either remakes or comic books, take your pick

I'm about finished with Hollywood