Honored Contributor

Reality (?) Shows!

[ Edited ]

So I was listening to Jeff Lewis on Bravo while driving back from the Drs today.

There's been so many times when I've wished I could go back and replay something from the radio like I do on TV with my DVR.

Anyway, so listening to Jeff talk about another reality show on Bravo about The Real Housewives of Salt Lake City, he started talking about one of the housewives was shown in a tub full of bubbles.

Now maybe that might not seem so weird with the way these days anything goes on TV.

However, this housewife was supposed to be waiting for the other 5 or 6 housewives to show up so they can party together, in this house, for a few days.

So, in pops one of the housewives that came separately.  She didn't want to ride the 4 or so hours on the bus with the other ladies.

Then they flash back to the ladies coming on the bus.  It was announced that the bus (and the ladies was at

east 3 & 1/2 hours away yet.

The ummm ...interesting thing was the housewife was STILL in the tub when the bus load finally arrived.

Now I don't know about you ladies, but if I'd been soaking in a tub for...let's say 5 hours, I'd be shriveled up like a wad of Kleenex.

Thank goodness they didn't show her getting up from the tub.  But we saw enough of her that she looked like she'd just stepped into the water!

Anyway, I drift off my original thought.  Jeff started talking about the stupid suggestions given to him on the show to make it "seem more interesting".

I'm thinking, even before he said it....What idiots watching me do their suggestions would think...'sure...it's normal (air quotes), to be in the tub while greeting guests.

He said some of their suggestions were beyond anything even a 1/2 way normal person would do.

We've all known these shows are fake, but sometimes it so obvious you feel like you've been hit by a Mack truck in disbelief.

These shows makes any sane person (myself definitely included) feel like an idiot for watching for 2 minutes.  

But we all do.  So now I'm thinking...why?  Why?  Why do I sit and watch these reality shows to the intensity that, if questioned, I could get an A on the test?

If anyone has any answers, please feel free to post them here.

Go ahead...I welcome all suggestions.  

Super Contributor

We don't ALL watch these shows.  I have never seen a single episode of any housewives, survivor, apprentice, kardashian, big brother, bachelor/bachelorette, etc ever in my entire life, and I never will.  Why do some watch?  Entertainment that doesn't require much thought?  Love of drama?  Guilty pleasure?  Background noise?  Any number of reasons.  I love Shark Week (well, except for the celebrity versions). I liked The Amazing Race for many years.  I guess those are my guilty pleasures. 

I say to all "you do you", as long as you know there isn't one single second of reality in Reality TV.

Honored Contributor

It takes 4 hours by bus to get around in Salt Lake City???    Must be a brutal rush hour...

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

Hi @Annabellethecat66. I don't know the answer to your question but it's a great question!!!

I used to watch two of the housewives shows and l was really hooked to watching them even though they both drove me crazy!!! All they did was fight with each other...but each week l would tune in and watch! l would ask myself during a commercial why l was watching them because l knew they were fake! I mean...who argues that much with friends/people???

So finally, when the next season started for both of them l didn't watch either of them again! I was so happy I didn't! This was at least 5 years ago l stopped watching...but what did l replace them with???

Another reality show called "Below Deck"and "Below Deck Mediterranean". I thought this one was "real" or mostly real. ...but it turns out this one is driving me nuts too!! These are younger people...but their filthy mouths are getting worse each season!!! And the drinking after each charter?!?! Some of them drink to the point of not remembering ANYTHING the next day!!! My gosh!!! 

So...after watching the show tonight I'm really done with that show too! I cannot listen to their filthy mouths any more because it's just not the way l talk...

I kept watching because the premise of it was so different than the housewives. I tried to ignore all the filthy talking, the heavy drinking and getting mad at each other (isn't that enough to turn me off?!?!) because l liked watching the charter guests...but after watching it tonight I am done!!

...and Jeff Lewis!!! I used to watch his show and he treated his employees terrible!!! I used to feel so bad for them! And Bravo wanted more from his show?? Good grief!

These shows have made Andy Cohen soooo rich!! Geezzz...

Trusted Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  Reality tv has never been reality. They are fake and scripted. People watch because some find them entertaining. Buth they certainly are not reality. I truly believe even dancing with the stars is fake. Too much of a coincidence that 2 batchlorettes also won Dancing with the stars mirror ball. Both shows are on ABC. Both seasons had much better dancer than these 2. I think all of HGTV shows are pretty much scripted and faked. Much has been written about renovations that are shody and for appearance only, not true long term fixes. Houise hunters, no. They had already selected and purchased a home and thru scrips made it look like they were house hunting.  Enjoy your shows but understand there is nothing real about them.

Respected Contributor

My favorite reality show is Tough As Nails, I also enjoy The Amazing Race but I don't think that show will ever have another season. I watched 2021 Bachelor In Paradise & really enjoyed it, Joe & Serena are a sweet couple.

Esteemed Contributor

I am not a fan of reality shows and don't watch them....I don't find shows with people screaming and cussing relaxing.

This year I've tried to read, garden, sew or bake instead of watching TV.

When I do watch, it is the older TV shows like Perry Mason, Matlock, Hazel Brady Bunch....or movies on TCM.

Honored Contributor

Re: Reality (?) Shows!

[ Edited ]

I watch some tv shows that allow me to escape and not think. These may be called reality shows but they aren't my reality.

Watch what you want. Why does it matter if it's a reality show, crime drama, or sitcom? 

Honored Contributor

This is just my opinion but I find all reality shows pure junk TV.  I dont believe they are reality in the least.

But many people like them and watch or they would not produce them and put them on TV.  I can not wrap my mind around why anyone likes them.  But to each his own.

Im sure that some of what I like to watch others would not understand either.  Guess it all equals out in the laundry.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

last good reality show was Cops!