Honored Contributor

Re: Re Bohemian Rhapsody: Have you heard Marc Martel?

WOW he's incredible!

Respected Contributor

He's great!!!!  Look out, Adam!

marc martel.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

It was known that Rami Malek would not be the singer in this movie although there was a blend of some of his singing with recordings of Freddie mixed with Marc Martel.

It isn't unusual to just mention the singer in passing; he was recognized but wasn't the sole singer in this movie.

It was the same for Marnie Nixon and others who sang while the star would lip-sync.

Marc is a great singer and himself didn't realize how much he sounded like Freddie.

He does a Queen tour; not sure if it is current but with this movie I would take a guess the tour will resume.

I asked someone because I thought i remembered a lot of controversy over an Audrey Hepburn role I think it was -- anyway I just did a Google search and even in her New York Times obit Marni Nixon is referred to as "the ghost singer."  That was her nickname in Hollywood.  Sad.

She did not get proper credit, she did not get any credit, and that was deliberate on the part of the studios.  And I believe it is the same situation here.  I never heard Rami didn't sing.  I never heard of Marc Martel and he sure doesn't get the credit he should get, he's way down under "sound" and it's a major understatement of his role.

Marni Nixon had a happily ever after as a screenwriter.  I hope Marc Martel has a bright future whatever he wants to do.  His contribution to Bohemian Rhapsody, like Marni's, will remain a footnote rather than the marquee he deserves.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

It was known that Rami Malek would not be the singer in this movie although there was a blend of some of his singing with recordings of Freddie mixed with Marc Martel.

It isn't unusual to just mention the singer in passing; he was recognized but wasn't the sole singer in this movie.

It was the same for Marnie Nixon and others who sang while the star would lip-sync.

Marc is a great singer and himself didn't realize how much he sounded like Freddie.

He does a Queen tour; not sure if it is current but with this movie I would take a guess the tour will resume.

I asked someone because I thought i remembered a lot of controversy over an Audrey Hepburn role I think it was -- anyway I just did a Google search and even in her New York Times obit Marni Nixon is referred to as "the ghost singer."  That was her nickname in Hollywood.  Sad.

She did not get proper credit, she did not get any credit, and that was deliberate on the part of the studios.  And I believe it is the same situation here.  I never heard Rami didn't sing.  I never heard of Marc Martel and he sure doesn't get the credit he should get, he's way down under "sound" and it's a major understatement of his role.

Marni Nixon had a happily ever after as a screenwriter.  I hope Marc Martel has a bright future whatever he wants to do.  His contribution to Bohemian Rhapsody, like Marni's, will remain a footnote rather than the marquee he deserves.

@LoriLori   Hi Lori-I think the issue with Audrey had to do with the movie "Breakfast at Tiffany's".  She wanted to sing "Moon River" and the producers wanted a ghost singer.  I believe in the end Audrey did end up singing that song.

Since Marc has done Queen tours I wonder if he will start them up again.  HIs other band is on hold right now.

Rami sang in BR but mixed with Freddie and Marc.  I don't think it was very much.

I know Rami was not the first choice to play the part but they took the chance on him and boy did it pay off!!

One more season of Mr. Robot with Rami and then a James Bond project is in the works to feature Rami.

We are looking forward to seeing BR but we don't go to theaters anymore.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 

Ironically I just read a book about the making of Breakfast at Tiffany's.  "Moon River" was written for her.

Google Marni Nixon.  It all comes up right at the top.  "Ghost singer."  Given no credit.  Hepburn, who was not happy.  Natalie Wood went ballistic so they led her to believe it was her voice when it wasn't.  At least per this article Deborah Kerr was fine with it.

I encourage you to google since her NY Times obit comes up first and it's interesting (and I'm no movie buff).  I can't link to the NY Times, I suggest you read it,  but here's an article from Variety:

https://variety.com/2016/film/columns/marni-nixon-dead-collaborator-natalie-wood-1201822636/

Rami only sang enough that he could comfortably lip sync.  He is no singer.  Marc Martel had a substantial role in this movie and got no credit for it.  He is the ghost singer in Bohemian Rhapsody and the story didn't break in a big way until this week.

Honored Contributor

Just watched Marc Martel on Youtube, his singing is not bad at all, but nobody will ever be as good as Freddie Mercury, he had a wonderful voice and amazing talent!  I thoroughly enjoyed the movie!

Esteemed Contributor

@fortune wrote:

He's great!!!!  Look out, Adam!

marc martel.jpg

@fortune  Adam Lambert doesn't have anything to worry about- Queen wanted someone to honor Freddie, not replace him. Adam is stellar in that role! (I've seen their show 3x!)