Honored Contributor

Re Bohemian Rhapsody: Have you heard Marc Martel?

You should hear Marc Martel.  It's uncanny. 

If you saw the movie you have already heard Marc Martel, since he is the one singing in the film along with Freddie, any scene except studio takes which are Freddie.  There's only just enough Rami so he could lip sync:

Solo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkCxE2Lh458

and with a band and backup singers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGcDpnxtqsc

I'm completely blown away by this man.  Maybe I'm the last to know?  I checked IMDB and he's only credited with "additional vocals."   Seriously?  Are they trying to hide it? 

Suddenly there's a ton of articles "meet the mystery man behind the vocals."

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Re Bohemian Rhapsody: Have you heard Marc Martel?

A real gem!

Honored Contributor

I haven’t heard of him either but oh goodness what a voice. Thanks for posting about him. @LoriLori 

Valued Contributor

I heard it said that he is the lead singer in a Canadian Christian band. 

Honored Contributor

@country gal wrote:

You didn't say where you heard that...He lives in Nashville now and since 2013 has toured with Queen Extravaganza which was put together by Roger Taylor and then another Queen tribute band.  He writes Christmas music, he seems very versatile and he sang Freddie in the movie.

This is his audition for Queen Extravaganza -- all auditions were on line.  He sang "Somebody to Love."   He got the job but also hiis audition went viral and has 18 million views.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dREKkAk628I

I see he had a heartfelt post to all for the wins last night.  He's a class act considering they've been keeping him under wraps.

Valued Contributor

@LoriLori Just read about him the other day as I had no clue that he did a lot of the singing in the movie.  He got credit for additional singing.  After seeing Adam Lambert's opening at the Oscars, which left me underwhelmed, I thought of this man again.  But he doesn't have the name recognition as Adam.

Honored Contributor

He has a beautiful voice. I bet he hardly made any money for doing the vocals in the movie.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@country gal wrote:

@country gal @LoriLori    Yes-the band Downhere but they have been on hiatus since 2012(?) or so.  It was a Christian rock band.  They released several albums and have won awards for some of them.

He is from Canada originally.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

It was known that Rami Malek would not be the singer in this movie although there was a blend of some of his singing with recordings of Freddie mixed with Marc Martel.

It isn't unusual to just mention the singer in passing; he was recognized but wasn't the sole singer in this movie.

It was the same for Marnie Nixon and others who sang while the star would lip-sync.

Marc is a great singer and himself didn't realize how much he sounded like Freddie.

He does a Queen tour; not sure if it is current but with this movie I would take a guess the tour will resume.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I never heard of him before this thread.  I checked out the youtube videos and he's AMAZING!!!