Honored Contributor

Re: Rarely mentioned good movies.

@sarnrse, I agree on a lot of those you mentioned.

Honored Contributor

@violann wrote:

If a made-for-tv movie counts, “Finnegan Begin Again” is lovely.

Lately I’ve been struck by the lack of lovely romances featuring people of a certain age, and this is a very sweet example of that very specific genre.

If you can find it, it’s a charmer.

@violann  So is Crazy From The Heart!  Do try to get ahold of  that one!

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree, another tiny, throwaway scene, I think when Wm. Hurt is driving in Miami, and a fully dressed clown drives by, inexplicably.  (Is it the filmmaker's comment that Hurt has been made into a clown?  Don't know.)

That Ted Danson whimsical little dancing scene is great!

And the one in the restaurant when Hurt bumps into Kathleen Turner and hubby Richard Crenna and awkwardly has to join their table.  The undercurrents in that scene are so revealing about the relationships...

Trusted Contributor

"Green Card" - 1990.  Andi MacDowell, a horticulturist in NYC, wants desperately to rent a beautiful apartment with its own greenhouse, but the board of directors for the buidling will only allow a married couple to rent it.  French actor, Gerard Depardieu plays a rude waiter who desperately wants to remain in the USA.  A mutual friend suggests they marry, so she can get her apartment and he can get his green card.  After the ceremony at city hall, they only expect to see each other again when they file for divorce after the necessary amount of time for both to get what they want.  However, Immigration steps in to verify the authenticity of their marriage. The two must move in together to get to know each other well enough to pass the interview by the immigration officials, and they fall in love.  The film was nominated for an Oscar for Best Screenplay and won two Golden Globes - Best Comedy and Best Actor.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell wrote:

@LilacTree, another tiny, throwaway scene, I think when Wm. Hurt is driving in Miami, and a fully dressed clown drives by, inexplicably.  (Is it the filmmaker's comment that Hurt has been made into a clown?  Don't know.)

That Ted Danson whimsical little dancing scene is great!

And the one in the restaurant when Hurt bumps into Kathleen Turner and hubby Richard Crenna and awkwardly has to join their table.  The undercurrents in that scene are so revealing about the relationships...

@Oznell

I remember that scene and I think you're right that it's kinda kinky relating to Hurt's obsession with the character, Maddie, who is pulling all of his strings.  Never thought of it before.  That's why one can watch the movie (and others like it) over and over, because of words or scenes that stay in one's head.

I got the impression that Danson was just fooling around at the end of the scene between him and Hurt, and they left it in because it added to the mood of the movie, which I always thought had some quirky kind of humor to it.

And how about when he bursts through the patio doors . . . who could ever forget that, and she's just standing there, like the puppet master!! 

Good movie.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

"Bugsy" with Anette Bening and Warren Beatty.  The scene where they're standing in the dark in the desert, and he annoys her and she says "why don't you just go jerk yourself a soda?"

Great line!!

[That's how they met, and he married her after being the most prolific ladies man in Hollywood for years!]

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@sarnrse wrote:

Madame X with Lana Turner - a vintage tear jerker

Portrait in Black with Lana Turner - early crime drama

Imitation of Life again Lana turner - engrossing story with fabulous clothes

Midnight Lace with Doris Day- thriller with fabulous clothes

Sorry Wrong Number - Grace Kellly and Hitchcock; a remake with Gynweth Paltrow Perect Murder - has a different twist

Body Heat with Kathleen Turner and William Hurt

Last of the Mohicans

Revenge - madeline stowe - ultimate payback movies

China Moon - Madeline stowe - crime, romance

A view from the Terrace with Joanne Woodward/Paul Newman

@sarnrse

Last of the Mohicans . . . beautiful cinematography, haunting music, great acting (and how beautiful were Madeleine Stowe and Daniel Day Lewis in that one?  Hard to watch sometimes, but best of the movies depicting the classic book.

Most memorable line .  .  . "I will find you!"

Formerly Ford1224
Respected Contributor

Speaking of Ted Danson reminded me of another sweet movie I like, Cousins, with Danson and Isabella Rossellini and Lloyd Bridges.

Honored Contributor

@TenderMercies wrote:

"Green Card" - 1990.  Andi MacDowell, a horticulturist in NYC, wants desperately to rent a beautiful apartment with its own greenhouse, but the board of directors for the buidling will only allow a married couple to rent it.  French actor, Gerard Depardieu plays a rude waiter who desperately wants to remain in the USA.  A mutual friend suggests they marry, so she can get her apartment and he can get his green card.  After the ceremony at city hall, they only expect to see each other again when they file for divorce after the necessary amount of time for both to get what they want.  However, Immigration steps in to verify the authenticity of their marriage. The two must move in together to get to know each other well enough to pass the interview by the immigration officials, and they fall in love.  The film was nominated for an Oscar for Best Screenplay and won two Golden Globes - Best Comedy and Best Actor.

@TenderMercies

Another favorite and an absolute charmer.  A similar film is Crossing Delancey (1988) with Amy Irving, Peter Riegert and Jeroen Krabbé.  Both are romantic and sweet with wonderful characters.  And both are set in New York.

I feel a double feature coming on...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@Sunnyfield wrote:

Body Heat!  Kathleen Turner was so seductive!  Loved it when she said to William Hurt

"You're not too bright, are you?  I like that in a man!"

Also loved Breaking Away and same time next year! 

A recent "little movie"  called "Chef" was great if you ever get the chance to see it.

"Regarding Henry" with Harrison Ford and Annette Bening.

So many great lines in Body Heat.  I've watched it 57 times.   That is my favorite line too.    What a great movie.