Honored Contributor

Re: Rarely mentioned good movies.

I also love 'Same Time Next Year'.

One of my favorite movies (it's in my top 5) that fits this category of being rarely, if even that, mentioned is 'Silkwood'.   I really love this movie.  It's a true story and the movie stars Meryl Streep, Cher, and Kurt Russell. 

Both Streep and Cher were brilliant and the whole thing was just done so well.  I don't know if it received any Academy Awards but if it didn't, it should have.

Honored Contributor

@cookinfreak wrote:

One of my all time favorite movies is Same Time Next Year. Alan Alda and I can't think of the womans name right now.

cookin

I believe it is Ellen Burstin. Check on IMBD.  That's all kinds of fun to find things out on. 

Respected Contributor

One that comes to mind is, "Breaking Away" (about the cyclist in Indiana). 

Honored Contributor

36 hours w/James Garner and Rod Taylor.

Valued Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@cookinfreak wrote:

One of my all time favorite movies is Same Time Next Year. Alan Alda and I can't think of the womans name right now.

cookin

I believe it is Ellen Burstin. Check on IMBD.  That's all kinds of fun to find things out on. 

I have hundreds of VCR tapes in the basement and Same Time, Next Year is there.  Love the music in that movie.  But I can watch As Good as it Gets, Terms of Endearment  and Love Actually every night.  And Lonesome Dove.

Honored Contributor

I don't know about the movie but I did read Nights of Rodanthe, a long time a go.  Great book.

Honored Contributor

Crazy from the Heart (1991)  with Christine Lahti and Ruben Blades.  I love this film - haven't seen it in years!  I highly recommend it.  

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101622/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_51

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Pearley wrote:

Crazy from the Heart (1991)  with Christine Lahti and Ruben Blades.  I love this film - haven't seen it in years!  I highly recommend it.  

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101622/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_51

OMG!  I love this movie.  I thought I was the only one who ever saw this one.  Way back when it was kind of first out I searched and searched for the video (VHS back then).  Finally found it at one point and I don't even want to say how much I paid for it, as it's obscene.

Then, several years ago, I also found it on DVD and got that, but fortunately it wasn't some crazy price at that point.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like a lot of those old British movies from the '60s. like "Darling" starring Julie Christie, "The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner," "Billy Liar," and "A Taste of Honey."

Another '60s movie: "David and Lisa." 

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt@Pearlee

Crazy from the heart.  I'll have to be aware of this then, if you two like this one so much.  There's a couple now, I'll put on my list to keep my eyes open for.  I've always liked Christine Lahti, so thanks for mentioning that one. 

Thanks to all others too, I'll get my list going.