Honored Contributor

Re: Rarely mentioned good movies.

Mildred Pierce is hardly "rarely mentioned"!

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal,   Thank you.  I could not think of the name.  It is my old time favorite.  Acting was so dramatic back then and Joan was in perfect form.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Jackhound Mom wrote:

Thought of another oldie

Dominic & Eugene with Ray Liota

just remembered another movie that i love with ray liotta and whoopi...... CORRINA, CORRINA.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

'Sabrina' ....... The remake starring Harrison Ford and also the original featuring Audrey Hepburn.   THIS TV is featuring the remake.   Both excellent movies.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

This is an oldie Kim Novak and Kirk Douglas in Strangers when we Meet.  This movie was a little head of its time.  

@Katcat1

Strangers When We meet is what I call a 'sleeper'.

I had seen it for the first time (possibly) 12 years ago...completely by accident and LOVED it. Very Surprised to have seen Lee Grant in any role lacking physical depth. That should have been Lana Turner..to a "T">for this role.

STRANGERS: I knew it probably was not an Academy Award movie..but the story line is extraordinarily intense with a beautiful essential constitution; a need for love, and then 'that' love in return .... 1955.

STRANGERS is justifiably a frienship that blossoms into one powerful

'IN LOVE' > relationship. Both needed each other desperately.

The relationship.

*Storyline: ``was by a fortunate happening without an apparent cause*``

From your previous post: I have seen ( JO CR) in one movie that I definitely had known,' she was at her peak' ;she was very young and quite attractive. I always watch this JC movie when on:  **Sadie Thompson**.  A MUST SEE; the original, not the remake.

NOTHING else of { JC } was of any interest to me, but found Crawford's [type casted] as a   NO   (in Mildred P) for her stereo-typed persona!

I will not watch _any movie_ unless it grabs me, holds my attention in the first "5" minutes. That movie did, along with ``Strangers- - -

Lana Turner never had the quality to possess any ability for a soul thought provoking, i.e., real life intended, or the real matter to exist, building a basic unite. More flesh than role of authority. LT.

@Katcat1

@Oznell

Oznell, COMMENTS?

Esteemed Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

'Sabrina' ....... The remake starring Harrison Ford and also the original featuring Audrey Hepburn.   THIS TV is featuring the remake.   Both excellent movies.

@Adored that movie, @ROMARY 1 

BUT! Harrison Ford being in remake of Sabrina> A definite NO NO NO!

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee

Hello to a dear lady from our movies. I have certainly missed YOU

and your critiques.

I trust that you are doing better than ever. Woman Happy

I am always interested when you post for your movie selections!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@TexasMom1 wrote:

Jumping in here with a wonderful oldie but goodie...

The More The Merrier......

Due to a housing shortage in Washington, D.C., during World War II, Connie Milligan (Jean Arthur) agrees to rent part of her apartment to wealthy retiree Benjamin Dingle (Charles Coburn) and soldier Joe Carter (Joel... wikipedia.org

I believe Charles Coburn was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor. 

This movie brings a smile to my face every time I watch it. I even bought it on DVD and watch it every year! 

Highly recommend!

@     @TexasMom1 - YES!

Oh..do I agree. 

ONE GREAT MOVIE. We usually see this just before Christmas, however, did watch it again last summer (odd time?), but absolutely can watch over & overrrrrrrrrrrrr.

@ TexasMom1 and /or @Oznell would you have read, noticed when it might be on soon. I hope. 

The cast is perfect and will or should lift anyone out of the moody holiday druthers, I should think.....

Another must see. Fun comedy and a warmth of what was once some time a long time ago. Nothing of today would (I don't think) would be on tv, as this.

I miss what has been lost, almost everything: the behavior of most people, society's balance, in general, the love ~ helping each other.

A beautiful wholesome memory. 

Occasional Contributor

Black Widow with Debra Winger and Theresa Russell - made in 1987 still plays well today 

Another Debra Winger favorite - Betrayed with Tom Berenger 

Honored Contributor

@sarnrse wrote:

Black Widow with Debra Winger and Theresa Russell - made in 1987 still plays well today 

Another Debra Winger favorite - Betrayed with Tom Berenger 

Black Widow, is a good one!!!