Respected Contributor

I also want to thank (who for unknown reasons would not pull up in my initial thank you):

@Zhills @Group 5 minus 1 @Imaoldhippie @GAQShopr53  and also @Iamstilloxox

(I don't know why Iamstilloxox, will not come up properly, so I am sorry about that!)

Honored Contributor

Hi Jersey Born!  All I've had for years is my flat screen tv and rabbit ears.  I live in the city and I receive all of the local stations, plus others.  I get QVC 2, HSN2 and in the winter when the leaves drop off of the trees, I get QVC and HSN.  I don't have any add ons like Firestick.  When there is nothing on that pleases me, I put in a DVD of which there is a large assortment.  I still have a flip phone too.  I live very frugally.  My splurge is my laptop computer and internet service.  My local cable service doesn't have contracts so if I want cable in Oct., Nov., and Dec. to watch football and holiday shows, I can do that.  You can try living without it, but it's there if you change your mind.

Respected Contributor

@Sweet Caroline 1

Thank you for your reply.  

What is "Firestick"?  

I also have a flip phone.  LOL.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Rabbit Ears for TV

[ Edited ]
@Jersey Born,  Please enter 'Cutting the Cord' in the community forum search bar, just below your avatar.
Your subject comes up frequently. Many of us have replied to questions about cutting the cord multiple times, and posters just may not want to write out their info again.
Enter 'Firestick' in the community search too.
What you need will be there.
Frequent Contributor

I worked in TV for my whole adult life and wanted to help out those that are undecided on getting your own TV antenna.   In particular rabbit ears.  An antenn is just a metal instrument for reception it picks up every signal out there that is of any strength and does not care whether the signal is digital or analog.  Like someone mentioned earlier the technology is determined by your receiver, not the antenna.  Rabbit ears or other indoor antennas work on UHF TV stations best ( not as strong for VHF and some TV stations are VHF) and you need to live in the vicinity of the TV transmitters 20-30 miles or so and not in a valley.  If you live a great distance your antenna needs elevation(roof mount) and more height or length to bring a strong enough signal to the back of your TV.  My antenna is in my attic. Sometimes people use filters to remove noisy electronic environments or pre-amps to give the signal even more boost. It can be frustrating to set up.  But once your are set, it is a one time only expense and inconvenience and you get free tv.

That being said the over the air signal will make the prettiest picture your TV will ever make.  Because the full signal is sent to your house and it is not as compressed as it would be from DTV or streaming. Particularly for live sports.

Respected Contributor

Thank you @x Hedge. I will be sure to use the search bar in the future.  I have never used it before, believe it or not.    

Respected Contributor

Thank you @Black Pony.  I think I will consider this option-- an antenna and a pre-amp.  Sounds like a plan.

Honored Contributor

@Jersey Born.  That's about what I get and many are religious, Spanish or reruns of old sitcoms but I get local news on 3 major networks, several PBS stations,  all the shopping channels except Evine.   One interesting thing, the channels have sub-channels.  For instances channel 7 is ABC but then there's 7.2, 7.3 etc.  Channel 7.3 is a 24/7 Justice Channel playing older crime shows.  I can always find something to watch there...it's my go-to channel.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Black Pony wrote:

That being said the over the air signal will make the prettiest picture your TV will ever make.  Because the full signal is sent to your house and it is not as compressed as it would be from DTV or streaming. Particularly for live sports.

@Black Pony.  You are right about the picture quality.  I get the VHF stations in HD with the Mohu Antenna.  I hang it on the wall but when it fell on the floor, the picture was unchanged.  I have the perfect situation to use such an antenna.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Jersey Born wrote:

@Sweet Caroline 1

Thank you for your reply.  

What is "Firestick"?  

I also have a flip phone.  LOL.

I wish I could tell you what firestick is.  It is somthing that loads on your tv and you can get extra channels but I don't know if it has a monthly fee or not.  I'm out from under the rock but not very far... Smiley Happy   Flip phones rule!!!!  Smiley Wink