Respected Contributor

Hi!  I wanted to inquire if anyone on this forum has gotten so fed up with their cable TV provider that they have switched to the old fashioned "rabbit ear" antennae for their TV viewing.  If so, how many TV channels do you receive, and are you satisfied with your decision to get rid of your cable TV and associated expenses?

I am strongly considering doing this as I rarely watch TV, and for the money spent, I am not sure it makes much sense to continue paying for cable TV.

Thank you to anyone who can provide any insight whatsoever into this.  

Honored Contributor

All TV is now digital there is no more analog and I do not think the rabbit ears will work

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I know someone that did that and he got 3 to 4 channels and an occasional odd channel thrown in.  He since subscribed to satellite.

It could be different where you live.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

@I am still oxox   Thanks for your response.

I think there are newer digital antennae, so I was wrong to call the "rabbit ears" old fashioned, as old fashioned would seem to indicate analog only.

Honored Contributor

Re: Rabbit Ears for TV

[ Edited ]

I am very satisfied!  Made the switch a couple years ago.  I get 30-40 channels, including the various QVC and HSN channels.  You'll need a digital antenna; Mohu Leaf is the brand I use.  Go to their website, type in your zip code, then type in your exact address, and it will tell you, for each of the ten Mohu models, how many channels you're likely to receive.  (It's based on your distance from the transmitting tower.  The more expensive antennas will pick up more channels.)  Once you decide which antenna you want, you can buy it at most electronic retailers; Best Buy, for example, carries them.

Please let me know if you have other questions.

Respected Contributor

Very interesting, and thank you for responding.  

I look forward to hearing more from others who have tried this or know of someone who did.  

There probably is a great deal of variance as reception likely differs from place to place.

Respected Contributor

My son just purchased an antenna for my mom who wanted to get rid of Directv...it was not a rabbit ear antenna but one that sits on top of the television and she is able to get 22 channels including some local channels.  I would research and see which antenna will work best for you in your area. Between the antenna, Netflix, and Roku she is very happy!

Respected Contributor

Thank you so much @ValuSkr for your detailed response.  I will go and check out that make and model to find out what I can potentially expect from a digital antena in my area.

Respected Contributor

Thank you, too, @GAQShopr53. I have some hope now!

Honored Contributor

@Jersey Born  It's great to have free TV!  I also hated paying so much for cable, with anuual increases of 10% or more.   I should add that on the Mohu website, once you see how many channels you're likely to receive, click "see list" and it will tell you exactly which channels you'll probably get.  For me, it was very accurate.