Respected Contributor

Re: RV's life some share it is likea Reality soap opera

@I like celery

@I like celery wrote:

@javala The removed post was from the poster on this thread who was angry.  It was removed due to the poster "name-calling" one of the other posters.

Thank you for clearifying this....

sad there is nothing to be angry about on this thread 

Honored Contributor

@javala@I like celery, that poster is usually angry. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tarsmom wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

I think it would be fun. You need to have money to RV full time. Some people live in a van full time , too. (but it doesn't have a bathroom, like an RV) One better get a newer RV, or the repairs are high. Also the fuel costs, since they don't get good mileage. I think a small trailer would be better, since one can unhook it if it needs repairs. (still have your vehicle)  I still would want a home-base in case the RV'ing lifestyle don't work out.

My hubby/I are looking into this.  One son lives out of state, no GK and family is gone mostly.  It's a myth that you have to have "money".  DH has been researching since last September and you'd be really surprised how people do this on limited income.  Apparently, there are tons of free places to stay and remember, your RV is your home.  The main thing is not to buy brand new and be willing to talk to many people and do your research before jumping in and selling everything.  It sounds like many people who kept their home or put things in storage wished they had just sold it all.  There's even people with chemo treatments and dialysis who are doing this FT.  We're not 100% in at this point but we're sure intrigued by the idea!  

That's why you need a newer RV (not brand new),  because of costly repairs. One has to having savings or an income to do RV'ing full time. When it's being repaired when you are on the road, what do you do? Some people tow their cars. RV parks are very expensive in some areas. Walmart parking lot is free, until you get kicked out. lol

I would want to have a mini RV, or a van conversion. (I can't drive those big ones)

Honored Contributor

@I like celery wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Clearly it gives some of you a degree of pleasure to think you are somehow a better person than anyone who would live in an RV for whatever reason they may be doing so. How sad you are! But then , this does seem to be the accepted behavior in todays society. And that isn't sad - it's pathetic. 

I did not get the impression from the OP's post that she thinks she is a "better person" than "anyone who would live in a RV."  I think you are being defensive because you have lived in a RV from what I rememember reading from some of your posts.

Again, I don't call it an RV or trailer (like she does). That poster don't travel with it from place to place. It looks like a mini home IMO.

Honored Contributor

@javala The I is this daughter (in the RV) is the one who has OCD among other issues.  So she went bonkers.

I know they can be found in a lot of places.  My late husband and I spent 5 full months in a hotel while our house was being restored.  We made sure we were kept in the same room.

However, we did have to move into one other room when we went to Houston (for a visit) and they needed the space (Jimmy Buffet concert).

It all worked out OK, though, because the room they gave us for the rest of the time (thank goodnes was also bug free).  Ha!

I think the daughter in Denver was lucky they weren't in her house after they washed everything.  That makes me wonder if they really had bed bugs in the RV.  We'll never know and actually, I don't care to think about it....Ha!

Honored Contributor

@missy1 we have insurance for our RV that covers breakdowns while we are on the road.  

You can buy insurance rather cheap. It covers the cost of repairs to the engine, etc. of the RV or the towing vehicle.  We have a separate policy for maintenance issues like the furnace, AC or refrigerator or awnings orbelongs inside.

Insurance pays for towing your RV and nights in a hotel if you have the type you drive and it breaks down.  If your tow vehicle breaks down, they will tow your RV trailer to a park and pay for your stay until your tow vehicle gets fixed.

last year on the way home from Florida, the power was going out in our tow vehicle.  My DH got off of an exit in Gatlinberg,TN and went to Advance Auto.  He ran in and bought the part he needed and installed in in their parking lot.  

It was a day where the rain was following us home.   I held the umbrella while my DH worked.  As soon as he was done, it rained so hard that you couldn’t sse through the windows.

i told  him that he could use the insurance to get the part installed, etc. but he said he didn’t want to waste time.

My DH is very handy and can fix just about anything.  If he wasn’t with me, I would clearly need the insurance for just about every little thing.

We have met many people who work from home in their RV.  They work full time and live in the RV full time while traveling the country.  Some even have kids and they home school them too.  Modern technology allows them them the freedom to live on the road.  Some must make a lot of money.  Their RV’s cost $200,000 and upwards with a lot of custom finishes.

There are also people who travel in RV’s held together with chewing gum and duct tape. You meet all kinds of people.  It is a great experience.  I love doing it part time.