Super Contributor

RULES OF ENGAGEMENT - "100th" (S7/Ep13) - 05.20.2013 Series Finale!

What a sweet ending to this fun series. I don't know why, but I really enjoyed RULES OF ENGAGEMENT, juxtaposing the younger enthusiastic engaged couple and their friends, the older world-weary married pair. I thoroughly enjoyed the weekly escapades of Adam & Jennifer; Audrey & Jeff; Russell and Timmy. Thankfully, the producers wrapped up the seven seasons with a very satisfying, funny and touching finale.

Did the Timmy and Russell plotline remind anyone else of that final episode of BOSTON LEGAL, involving William Shatner's Denny Crane and James Spader's Alan Shore? Amazing what selflessness people will demonstrate, exhibiting true friendship when it's most needed. Incidentally, BOSTON LEGAL ran 101 episodes, after morphing from its 1997 roots in THE PRACTICE.

Since the cancellation was announced only last week, I wonder if they'd scripted two endings: one for the possible network pink slip and another if they'd been renewed. I'm glad they managed to reach the magic 100th (hence the title) episode mark (the objective for off-net syndication; lucrative but not as essential as it once was).

RULES was humourous and enjoyable; much better and infinitely more entertaining than some sitcoms that linger on TV season after season. I guess we can always hope that another network will give it a new lease on life. If not, at least RULES will live on in syndicated reruns.