Honored Contributor

RON HOWARD AND CLINT HOWARD'S NEW MEMOIR

51rTh7SBBDL.jpg

It's actor-director Ron Howard and younger actor-brother Clint's recollection of growing up in Hollywood, with actor- parents Rance Howard and Jean Speegle.

Has gotten excellent reviews.  The brothers credit their loving, proactive actor parents with keeping them from succumbing to the sometimes tragic circumstances that other child actors experience. 

They certainly had their challenges--  Ron with stress and bullying from other kids, Clint with a period of substance abuse and withdrawal.  But they had an intact family, Ron says, that was able to transmit values to the young actors that guided them through life.

Sounds like it could be a refreshing read.

Honored Contributor

Re: RON HOWARD AND CLINT HOWARD'S NEW MEMOIR

I briefly saw the brothers on TV interviewing each other I would assume promoting the book.  They seemed to be close and interested in what each other had to say about their life issues.  I think the book would be a very interesting read and reveal what we do not know about Ron and Clint.  I enjoyed Ron in Happy Days and know he is still involved in film making.  His lovely daughter was in the Jurassic Park movies also.  

Trusted Contributor

I saw that interview too, @spiderw , and thought the same things. 

We’re probably more familiar with Ron but I remember watching Clint in Gentle Giant—and later finding out he was Ron’s brother. 

Honored Contributor

I also recently saw them on tv, which was kind of cool as I cannot recall the last time I saw them together.  I know that Ronny has put Clint in a lot of his movies which is great.  I always thought that maybe Clint didn't have the 'look' a lot of producers would choose.  He's plenty talented.

I'm thinking I'd like to purchase this book.  I think it will be a good read and I imagine there are probably some great pics too.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@spiderw wrote:

I briefly saw the brothers on TV interviewing each other I would assume promoting the book.  They seemed to be close and interested in what each other had to say about their life issues.  I think the book would be a very interesting read and reveal what we do not know about Ron and Clint.  I enjoyed Ron in Happy Days and know he is still involved in film making.  His lovely daughter was in the Jurassic Park movies also.  

@spiderw  Ron's daughter Bryce Dallas Howard had a large role as the villain in the film The Help.  If you saw it, she's the one who ate the poop pie.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@spiderw wrote:

@spiderw  Ron's daughter Bryce Dallas Howard had a large role as the villain in the film The Help.  If you saw it, she's the one who ate the poop pie.

Bryce also played Eltons mother in Rocketman, among other films. 

Trusted Contributor

Terry Gross, on her NPR program, had a great interview with the brothers last week. The conversation should be archived.

Honored Contributor

Remember Clint in a Seinfeld episode where he was in the back of a cab with Jerry, I think he was a criminal in this one. 

Esteemed Contributor

Currently half way through this book; its really a good memoir.  Its goes from one brother's point of view to the other's, back and forth.

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@spiderw wrote:

Bryce also played Eltons mother in Rocketman, among other films. 

@Shelbelle   There's a piece of movie trivia I'd forgotten!  Her cleavage was quite memirable though. 😄