Honored Contributor

ROMANTIC/SUSPENSE FILM WEEKEND ON TCM

key_largo_bogart_bacall.jpg

Saturday, 2:15 p.m. Eastern--  "Key Largo"   Humphrey Bogart, Lauren Bacall, Edward G. Robinson, Claire Trevor, Lionel Barrymore.   

Superb, timeless Bogey/Bacall outing, with outstanding performances by "gangster" Edward G. Robinson and "gangster's moll"  Claire Trevor.   Heightened sense of doom as tropical storm swirls and breaks around them ....

Preminger-Tam-kde-ulice1.jpg

Saturday-Sunday Midnight Eastern (and 10:00 a.m. Eastern later Sunday morning) --  "Where the Sidewalk Ends"   Dana Andrews, Gene Tierney, Gary Merrill

Potent drama about a tormented police detective (the never-fail, excellent Dana Andrews) on the brink;  Gene Tierney has never been lovelier (or more likeable) as a hard-working New York fashion model pulled into his orbit as crime ripples around them.

MV5BMjA3NjcxMTA0Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzMyODMyNw@@._V1_.jpg

Sunday, 7:45 a.m. Eastern --  "Humoresque"   John Garfield, Joan Crawford, Oscar Levant    Intense, driven musical prodigy (John Garfield) spars with, then becomes the "protege" of very rich, very social married Joan Crawford.  Garfield is great as a man pulled in different directions.  Crawford agonizes photogenically and pursues him with neurotic ardor.  She was photographed so glamorously in this!   Hilarious Oscar Levant is brilliant, and provides much needed comic relief....   

Honored Contributor

Re: ROMANTIC/SUSPENSE FILM WEEKEND ON TCM

And I missed noting one, that's in a slightly different, but related category--  romantic/suspense/comedy:

v1.bjsyMTY0ODA7ajsxODU4NzsxMjAwOzIwNDg7MTUzNg.jpeg

6:00 p.m. Eastern--   "The Last of Mrs. Cheyney"    Joan Crawford, William Powell, Robert Montgomery, Frank Morgan, Nigel Bruce, Jessie Ralph

Sparkling treatment of glamorous jewel thieves out to plunder the British upper classes that they've cleverly infiltrated.  Joan is surprisingly good as a con woman with certain scruples, and Powell and Montgomery lend their sophisticated panache.

Honored Contributor

Key Largo is a classic.  What a cast!!  Doesn't get any better.

Have never seen the Dana Andrews/Gene Tierney one but they were so great in Laura, I'll record this one.

Humoresque is a goodie.  I'm a fan of Garfield.  Too bad he didn't have a longer life.

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

Key Largo is a classic.  What a cast!!  Doesn't get any better.

Have never seen the Dana Andrews/Gene Tierney one but they were so great in Laura, I'll record this one.

Humoresque is a goodie.  I'm a fan of Garfield.  Too bad he didn't have a longer life.

Couldn't agree more.

Honored Contributor

Seems like I posted this before but because I love trivia I'll post it again. I saw (or did I read it?) an interview with John Garfield and the interviewer asked him how he did all those finger movements on the violin and he said it wasn't me, it was a professional player's hand/arm you saw.

(Humoresque)

Honored Contributor

I'd be interested in hearing your reaction to "Where the Sidewalk Ends",  @kaydee50 -- it's very good.  Gritty, but with romance.  We know Dana and Gene are a great pairing!

Right you are, @Judaline --  I think the on-camera fingering was handled by the great Isaac Stern!  Those performing scenes were wonderful, and pretty seamlessly done...