Honored Contributor

ROGER MOORE'S "THE SAINT" SATURDAY 9:00 P.M. EASTERN FETV

9:00 p.m. Eastern, FETV Saturday--   "The Saint"   Roger Moore

Hey, I didn't know FETV was now showing Roger Moore's iconic Sixties' spy thriller show, "The Saint"!    Based on Leslie Charteris's novels, it's the perfect vehicle for suave Roger to be his witty, dapper, arch, man-about-London self.

Here's that driving, building, almost screeching opening credits theme we all love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq6l71lRQrY

Dee-dee-dee-dee-dee-dee, DEE!   Dee-dee-dee-dee-dee-dee-dee, DEE.

Dah-dah-dah,  etc. etc.!   And so on.

Don't know yet if it is every Saturday night, but probably, right?   Oh, boy!

Honored Contributor

Re: ROGER MOORE'S "THE SAINT" SATURDAY 9:00 P.M. EASTERN FETV

And here's a couple of minutes of the show, for the uninitiated.  The opening always ended with a halo appearing over "Simon Templar's" (the Saint's) head, while he smirked knowingly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIEblgU_z50

Impossibly young, adorable Roger Moore!

Trusted Contributor

Such a classically handsome man.

Honored Contributor

AND, with a sense of humor, @Jtdmum!  That throwaway lightheartedness of his, especially on display in "The Saint", is so endearing....

Honored Contributor

I enjoyed The Saint and the Avengers when they were on TV.  They were different and I loved the story lines.  It was many years ago but I remember these shows being  entertaining and in a way more sophisticated than other detective show of that genre.

Roger Moore was so good playing the Saint, he fit the role which in turn made the series a hit for me.

Honored Contributor

What's FETV mean ?

Honored Contributor

I can't imagine why I didn't watch this. Maybe it was opposite Magnum PI? hahaha I don't know but I sure loved The Saint movies. Your clip was great-soooo James Bondish. Which came first?

Honored Contributor

Good point of comparison, @spiderw --  "The Saint" had a very similar, stylish gloss that "The Avengers" had -- and here in the U. S.,  appealed to the same Anglophile viewers, I think.

@SharkE,  "FETV"  stands for "Family Entertainment Television"  --  it's one of those nostalgia TV channels that carries things like  "Bewitched",   "Hart to Hart",  "Father Knows Best",  "T.J. Hooker",  etc.

It's on channel 323 on our DirecTV system, but I don't know what channel it is on other systems....

Honored Contributor

Oh, that's a good question, @Judaline.  For some reason, I'm thinking "The Saint" TV show might have started around 1962?   Not sure.  It went on for years and years, right through the Mod London phase that came into full flower slightly later on...

Don't know when the very first "Bond" debuted.  Could it have been as early as '59?   For some reason that year sticks with me....   But maybe it was later....

Honored Contributor

Dr. No was the first Bond movie so I looked it up just now. 1962 according to IMDB. I really don't think that's right. '59 sounds much more accurate to me when I remember seeing it at the movies and what I was doing then.