Honored Contributor

ROBERT MITCHUM AT NOON EASTERN, TUESDAY TCM

Robert_Mitchum_Jane_Russell_His_Kind_of_Woman_1951.jpg

Noon, Eastern--   "His Kind of Woman"   Robert Mitchum, Jane Russell, Vincent Price, Charles McGraw, Raymond Burr, Tim Holt,  Marjorie Reynolds, Leslye Banning, Jim Backus

Kooky, noirish suspense set in an exclusive resort in Mexico, with Mitchum as a gambler not sure of the game he's being lured to play. 

hiskindofwoman2-1600x900-c-default.jpg

There's a real sizzle in the Mitchum/Russell chemistry, as you can well imagine, which is one reason for watching this film.  There's campy comedy, courtesy of Vincent Price playing a vacationing movie star.  You kind of have to go into this just to 'escape' and enjoy the moody atmospherics created by master director, the underrated John Farrow (father of Mia, husband of Maureen O'Sullivan).

Famously, the film was cut and messed around with by Howard Hughes, with Farrow washing his hands of it at one point.  Still there's enough left to enjoy, in the right mood!

price.jpg

Wiki is a gold mine in this instance, of amusing inside stories about the chaotic and colorful "behind the scenes".  Check it out, if interested.  Mitchum and Russell, very friendly but only platonically, had a fun, kidding relationship.  His nickname for her was "Hard John",  due  to her devoted, Bible-based Christianity.  Ha!  How I would have loved to have been so nicknamed by a 'character' like Mitchum...

And according to Wiki, he became provoked during a fight scene and started fighting "for real",  wrecking lights and equipment, etc.  Legend has it that it was Raymond Burr, of all people, who delivered a knock-out punch to the battling actor-- hard to believe, but I'd love to think it true, ha.

a90969e74247eed60b9ea209cf66725b.png

Vincent Price seemed to thoroughly enjoy his flamboyant role, and lends a light, effective note to the proceedings.

Jane Russell is so stunning and beautifully costumed in this.  I wonder if I'm the only one who often notices an odd resemblance between her and Khloe Kardashian-- there's a vague physical resemblance, but it mostly shows up in "cheeky attitude",  I think.

Another film that, while not in the ranks of classic noir, could be a fun diversion for a winter's afternoon...

janerussell.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: ROBERT MITCHUM AT NOON EASTERN, TUESDAY TCM

Esteemed Contributor

All star classic cast here. Set my DVR! @Oznell  Thank you 🙏 

Honored Contributor

He's husbands favorite. Jane is a good egg, outspoken. For some reason I tend to favor outspoken people. Tony Curtis books I like . folks who let their hair down. LOL

Honored Contributor

Oh, I like her down-to-earth personality too, @SharkE --  some of her quotes are hilarious!