Respected Contributor

RIP Jean-Luc Godard, French New Wave Film Director

Passed yesterday at age 91.

godard.png

Honored Contributor

Re: RIP Jean-Luc Godard, French New Wave Film Director

Whenever I hear his name, @PickyPicky3 ,  it conjures up all those French films, like "Breathless", with beautiful young Jean Seberg and Jean-Paul Belmondo--

Best-Movie-Quotes-Jean-Seberg-and-Jean-Paul-Belmondo.jpg

Honored Contributor

Speaking of the "greats" dying off... 

I viewed Breathless again this past summer on TCM.  I do not believe I viewed any other of Godard's films that I can recall.  Odd.

My TV screen was not large and I had difficulty reading the subtitles (especially when the light print was against the white background - B&W film), and I gave up after a certain point.  My French is almost as old as I am.  Other than common and simple statements, I do not understand the conversations.  Whenever I view Jean Seberg (who stars in Breathless along with Jean-Paul Belmondo), I am once again caught up in wondering about the strange life that this druggist's daughter from Iowa lived.  Her dad was a pharmacist who owned the drug store.  That was common when I was young.  So, she does pose a bit of a distraction for me as I try to understand the French fascination for her.

Actor Jean-Paul Belmondo died only a year ago.

For some reason, as a young woman I saw more of the films by New Wave director François Truffaut.  Among them were The 400 Blows, Jules et Jim and Shoot the Piano Player.

Life and its relentless cycle.  The avant-garde geniuses of yesteryear have become very old men and died off.   

May all of these artists rest in peace.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

One of my sons sent me a message with a link to something I never knew.

It seems that in 1968 Jean-Luc Godard filmed the Rolling Stones while they were recording the vocals for "Sympathy for the Devil."

Fascinating (at least to me).   I cannot give you the link because it goes to a Reddit site that has the video but also a  lot of salty language courtesy of Reddit contributors.