Respected Contributor

Dawn Wells - who is best known for her work starring as Mary Ann Summers on Gilligan's Island - has died at 82 of causes related to COVID-19.

Her publicist Harlan Boll announced that the actress had died in Los Angeles on Wednesday morning.

She starred as the wholesome farm-girl from Winfield, Kansas on the iconic show throughout its storied 98-episode run from 1964 to 1967. 

She also returned to her signature role for several TV movies and spin-off series.

Other than Tina Louise - who played Hollywood movie star Ginger Grant - Wells was the last surviving member of the cast of the legendary series. 

The series created by Sherwood Schwartz followed the comic adventures of seven castaways that attempted to survive on an island after being shipwrecked.

It featured an ensemble cast including Wells, Louise Bob Denver, Alan Hale Jr., Jim Backus, Natalie Schafer, and Russell Johnson. 

Wells had beat out 350 actresses for the role of Mary Ann Summers.

Before that she was crowned Miss Nevada in 1959 and went on to represent the Silver State at the 1960 Miss America Pageant in Atlantic City, New Jersey.

Before her big break on Gilligan's Island, she made her Hollywood debut on ABC series The Roaring 20s playing Gloria in the episode War With The NightHawkers in 1961.

Honored Contributor

That's sad.  I loved Gilligan's Island, and Mary Ann was my favorite.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

She was so darling, and upbeat.   You gave an excellent synopsis of her career, @lmt .   Very sorry to hear that.  I always wonder what they mean by "causes related to Covid".   My first guess would be something like weakened pulmonary function, but I suppose could be any number of things.  RIP.

Super Contributor

That is so sad. Gilligans Island was one of my favorite shows and Mary Ann was my favorite character. Safe cruising on the Minnow, Mary Ann.❤

Respected Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

She was so darling, and upbeat.   You gave an excellent synopsis of her career, @lmt .   Very sorry to hear that.  I always wonder what they mean by "causes related to Covid".   My first guess would be something like weakened pulmonary function, but I suppose could be any number of things.  RIP.

@Oznell   Thank you.

Through her interviews she seemed like a lovely person. I had no idea that she competed in the Miss America pageant.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: RIP Dawn Wells

[ Edited ]

This is such disheartening news! I remember watching reruns of Gilligan's Island after school and although Tina Louise was by many accounts the prettiest, Mary Ann was my favorite.😁

I purchased a pair of shorts, and top similar to her iconic set with my baby-sitting earnings one summer, and would sneak and wear them to the park. My mother would still be wailing on my hiney had she found out.😁 

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Valued Contributor

She was a nice woman.

Met her when she wrote the Gilligan's Island cookbook.

She was signing the book at a local small bookstore. She was just about the kindest person.

Honored Contributor

I just watched Gilligan's Island  early this morning on MeTV which has many of the old shows on.  I am sorry to hear about Dawn's passing, she was part of a great cast who gave us a funny show and many laughs.  The show worked because of Dawn and the rest of the actors.  May she be at peace with God, Dawn provided a happy place on TV.

Respected Contributor

I, too, was just watching Gilligan's Island this morning on MeTV. Sorry to hear of her passing.

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

@Oznell The report I read about Dawn's passing simply said 'complications from COVID-19'.

Sadly, we're going to see "causes related to Covid" for years  since they don't know the long term effects of the virus.