Honored Contributor

RHOBH - Kyle Richards "Wiped Out" in Burglary

Kyle Richards and Mauricio Umansky were cleaned out of all their jewelry -- many of the pieces extremely sentimental and irreplaceable -- and the burglars' haul was north of a million dollars.

Law enforcement and family sources tell TMZ, Wednesday's break-in was a professional job ... the thieves knew exactly how to break in without being detected and where to go once inside.  The burglars used a ladder to climb to a second story balcony, broke a window and beelined it for the 2 master bedroom closets. Nothing else in their Encino home -- which they bought in October - was disturbed.

TMZ broke the story of the break-in and at the time we knew burglars stole $150,000 worth of watches Mauricio had in his closet. One watch was given to him by his late grandfather.  As for Kyle ... burglars took everything but the few items she took to Aspen, where the family was vacationing.

Among the pieces stolen ... her gold wedding band with the inscription, "Mauricio forever."  The burglars also took the $100k earrings Mauricio got Kyle for their 20th anniversary last year.  Andy Cohen actually presented Kyle with the earrings on "Watch What Happens Live".

Burglars also took all her handbags, including Birkins and Channels.  Some of the items were given to Kyle by her late mom and she wanted to give them to her daughters, but now they're gone.

Cops have told the family they do not believe this was an inside job. There are some similarities between this burglary and the hits on the homes of Mariah Carey and Yasiel Puig, but cops have not yet made an official connection.

We're told this was a freak event where burglars were able to get in and out undetected, because the house has a state-of-the-art security system which can be turned on remotely, but there was a misunderstanding and it was not turned on.  

The family also has 3 very big dogs -- one of which is a 100 lb German Shepard -- but they were finishing a 5-week obedience course.  And there's a surveillance system with multiple cameras, but because of renovations it was turned off.

We're told there is now an armed guard firmly planted on the property.

No one has been apprehended and its unclear if cops have any suspects.

http://www.tmz.com/2017/12/30/kyle-richards-mauricio-umansky-burglary-robbery-jewelry/

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: RHOBH - Kyle Richards "Wiped Out" in Burglary

That is the problem with having so much   " *rap"  in your house that is valuable.  Who needs all that anyway?? A huge watch collection.... when you only wear one watch????... They need a reality check... waiting for them to end up in jail like all the other reality phonys.....

Honored Contributor

I'm sure they have insurance. I would think they took pictures of their property and hopefully it'll be recovered.  Everyone has cameras now a days so maybe they caught some on film about this. 

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal

I'm sure they did have insurance, but I wonder if they would cover it since the security system was turned off? I really have no idea.

I guess Celebs don't believe in using safety deposit boxes for sentimental items or items they don't wear often.

Sometimes I wonder if their charmed Celeb life leads them to think that they're not vulnerable.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Even if their Insurance pays out, it won't help with the sentimental family items they lost. It must be a devastating feeling. 

I'm not going to kick this family when they're down, and judge them for "having too much stuff."  I'm sure they are already kicking themselves for possibly thinking this couldn't happen to them.  

I think Maurico seems to be a really great, down-to-earth guy, and I like Kyle, too (although I know many posters don't).  

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't think the issue is about what they own or decide to purchase. 

The main problem IMO is showing off and advertising how much everything you have is worth in addition to letting everyone know you're on vacation. Social media and the show just exacerbate the issue.

IMO it was a matter of time before this happened. If you give out too much information, you make yourself a target. This is why right after my wedding my DH and I no longer post what we do, have or where we're going on any of our named social media channels. We literally became ghosts. 

These are the consequences of showing off. You'd better have a fail proof security plan in place and they did not. It makes no sense. They thrive of the materialistic image they project and now it came back to bite them. Win some, lose some. It's inherent to the type of celebrity they embrace. I'm glad they're ok.

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

@I like celery wrote:

Even if their Insurance pays out, it won't help with the sentimental family items they lost. It must be a devastating feeling. 

I'm not going to kick this family when they're down, and judge them for "having too much stuff."  I'm sure they are already kicking themselves for possibly thinking this couldn't happen to them.  

I think Maurico seems to be a really great, down-to-earth guy, and I like Kyle, too (although I know many posters don't).  

@I like celery

I agree with you and I'm certainly not kicking them when they're down.

The sentimental loss would be devastating to me, for sure.

My post was more wondering if they felt a 'false sense of security', due to their status, gated communities and/or state of the art security/video systems, or all of the above.

Those only work when turned on, which makes me wonder if they had a false sense of security, to not be diligent in making sure the systems are turned on.

Respected Contributor

They did have a top notch security plan, but unfortunately, they made a mistake.  Again, I am sure they are the first to blame themselves, and have learned a really tough lesson. 

I don't know if they "advertised" going on vacation or if the media found out, and made it public.  I don't follow Kyle's social media, so I have no idea.  I, also, don't think Kyle
"shows off."  I think she seems to be more low-key than many of the others.  JMO

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@I like celery wrote:

@I like celery

I agree with you and I'm certainly not kicking them when they're down.

The sentimental loss would be devastating to me, for sure.

My post was more wondering if they felt a 'false sense of security', due to their status, gated communities and/or state of the art security/video systems, or all of the above.

Those only work when turned on, which makes me wonder if they had a false sense of security, to not be diligent in making sure the systems are turned on.

@KingstonsMom  Oh, I'm sorry if it seemed my comment was in reference to something you posted -- that wasn't my intention, so I apologize if it seemed that way.  I agree they made a huge mistake, and I am sure it is an agonizing thought for them.  

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Respected Contributor

Probably one of their friends.