Esteemed Contributor

Re: REX REED'S "DO YOU SLEEP IN THE NUDE?"

@Judaline 

I echo your meanderings about this couple Cat LOL

Although he's not my cup of tea, he certainly had a huge bevy of admirers...so, yes, what was it that flipped his switch for AB?  

I find myself having these same thoughts about "regular" people.  Couples I've known that seem unlikely...what WAS "it" for them.  

Makes for interesting internal conversation.

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@Judaline 

I echo your meanderings about this couple Cat LOL

Although he's not my cup of tea, he certainly had a huge bevy of admirers...so, yes, what was it that flipped his switch for AB?  

I find myself having these same thoughts about "regular" people.  Couples I've known that seem unlikely...what WAS "it" for them.  

Makes for interesting internal conversation.

ITA He wasn't my cup of tea, either-thought he was full of himself because of women throwing themselves at him. Maybe it's like the old movies. She DIDN'T do that, hence the attraction.

He could be a really nice guy, I have no idea. It's just what I thought when I was younger.

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell 

I remember seeing RR in many past TV appearances.  He was always entertaining.

And, while I found his insights interesting, in general, I find the unvarnished "truth" and/or cruel comments about "stars" make me uncomfortable and even sad.

It's similar to that feeling when you discover someone you admire is really a jerk...I'd rather not know if they aren't in my immediate orbit.

Like sitting too close in a concert!  I always enjoy seeing performers from a distance, rather than watching them sweat!

Honored Contributor

If my memory is correct, I think Bening got pregnant. And when she did, perhaps Warren had decided by then that he'd sown enough wild oats and was ready to settle down. 

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1,  in case you are still interested, I believe I saw it online on Barnes and Noble as an "e book" for under $8.00.   Everywhere else it seems insanely expensive, even second hand paperbacks of it selling for around $40 and up....

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

@Group 5 minus 1,  in case you are still interested, I believe I saw it online on Barnes and Noble as an "e book" for under $8.00.   Everywhere else it seems insanely expensive, even second hand paperbacks of it selling for around $40 and up....

@Oznell Wish I'd have kept my copy!

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

If my memory is correct, I think Bening got pregnant. And when she did, perhaps Warren had decided by then that he'd sown enough wild oats and was ready to settle down. 

It sure has lasted a long time. Maybe they fell in love after they were married, based on that premise. Who knows!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I ordered the book (hardcover--at least I can use Lysol wipes...haha) on ebay and it will be here Thurs.

Good read on the beach and I'm collecting *quirky* books for my cocktail table in my reading nook.

@Oznell  or anyone....any other suggestions?

Honored Contributor

Wow, what a fun challenge you've set us,  @Lucky Charm ! Let's see:

You might not be looking for fiction, but a couple of critical and popular standouts:

"Gilead"     by Marilynne Robinson.   2005 novel, won Pulitzer Prize (for once, totally justified).    Radiant depiction of a torn Midwesterner trying to determine what is morally required from him, at any given time.   Best book of fiction I've read in years.  Perhaps too introspective and "heavy" for the beach, but save for stormy days!

On the lighter side, still substantive, but effortlessly sparkling:

"Happy All the Time"   by Laurie Colwin    Witty comedy of manners, about love and other things, centering around two East Coast couples.  Quirky, delightful, like all of Colwin's work.

Coffee Table:

"Famous Jewelry Collectors"    Stefano Papi and Alexandra Rhodes     All the legendary collections, from the Duchess of Windsor,  Paulette Goddard, assorted royals, Merle Oberon, Joan Crawford.   Helena Rubenstein's were the most eye-popping!   Luscious.

"Fred Astaire--   His Friends Talk"   Sarah Giles    And his famous friends had a lot to say about Fred, the greatest.  Fabulous photos too.

"Tiffany Table Settings"   put out by Tiffany,  published by the Thomas Y. Crowell publisher.   This is vintage, circa 1960, which I found second-hand in a shop.   Love to pore over these table settings by dizzy socialites with unlimited resources!

"William Yeoward at Home"   by Wm. Yeoward    The late English designer shows his own beautiful country house, gardens, and smart city apartment in one volume. 

"Decorating on Ebay"   by Barbara Guggenheim   What a fun idea for a book.  Antiques dealer Guggenheim set out to show how she could decorate a standard California spec house using only Ebay as a source.   She goes on a sort of madcap adventure, choosing a theme for each room ( "cottage" for the living room,  Surfer sixties for a girl's bedroom,  Adirondack camp for a guest room, British colonial for master bedroom, vintage tiki bar for den.)   And it all works, somehow!

Bio, history:

"Stormy Weather--  The Life of Lena Horne"   James Gavin    A definitive biography of an extraordinary life, career and family.  Nice companion to Horne's daughter Gail Lumet Buckley's rich memoir,  "The Hornes".

"The Last Knight--  The Twilight of the Middle Ages and the Birth of the Modern Era"   by Norman F. Cantor    History and comparative literature professor Cantor brilliantly brings that turbulent era to life in short, punchy book.

None of these may be what you are looking for, but if you have different, more specific areas of interest, give a shout. 

Honored Contributor

This reminds me of my Mom..she and her sisters would sit at our kitchen table and talk about Rex Reed and Rona Barrett. 

Great memories.