Honored Contributor

Re: REX REED'S "DO YOU SLEEP IN THE NUDE?"

Those are good memories, @DREAMON !  For me, it was my sister, who was about 12 years older than I.  She always knew the skinny on everyone!

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I ordered the book (hardcover--at least I can use Lysol wipes...haha) on ebay and it will be here Thurs.

Good read on the beach and I'm collecting *quirky* books for my cocktail table in my reading nook.

@Oznell  or anyone....any other suggestions?

@Lucky Charm Got one!  

Onassis: An Extravagant Life
Frank Brady

Interesting look at a lot of history I did not know, international business, shipping, celebrities and having enough money to do what you want.

I found the book a great read.  
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you found this book entertaining (and I sure did) you will want to pick up "The Andy Warhol Diaries".

The Andy Warhol Diaries, book cover design by Catherine Casalino for Grand  Central Publishing | Book cover, Book cover design, Cover design

Honored Contributor

@Oznell Started the book yesterday and am really liking it.  Skipped to my two faves first (Marlene--I have so many books on her already!  And Lucy.)

But you mentioned Warren Beatty who I never really cared about, never saw him in a movie and only heard that Carly Simon's 'You're So Vain' was about him.  So that's kinda how I thought about him. 

Sorta o/t,  but I just read about her (Simon) and her long list of lovers, that song could be about a few dozen men anywhere from Beatty to Capn Crunch...lol.  But that's another book, I'm sure....

Anyways, I was quite shocked about the love triangle, no make that love square, with Beatty, Natalie Wood, Robert Wagner and Joan Collins.  !!!

Here's an eye opening paragraph:

In 1960, through WIlliam Inge's help, Warren was cast in his screen play of Splendor in the Grass, directed by Elia Kazan.  By now he was engaged to Joan Collins.  When she left for Europe to film Esther and the King, Warren went to NY to film Splendor and met Natalie Wood, whose husband Robert Wagner spent the summer of 1960 watching the co-stars fall in love.  Joan Collins smelled more than splendor in the grass, flew back three times, but by August 1960, Beatty and Natalie were going everywhere together saying, 'We're just friends,' and collapsing in fits of laughter.  While Wagner was selling Natalie's Hollywood mansion with its his-and-hers saltwater swimming pools, Warren ( who nobody had ever heard of a year before) and Natalie (who nobody cared about a year before) became an item.  The columns exploded with the news:  suddenly Natalie, who was separated from Robert, was dating Warren, who used to be engaged to Joan, and Joan was dating Robert, who used to be Warren's best friend.  And if you think that was confusing, it was, because Robert used to date Joan before he married Natalie.  A Time correspondent on the scene at the time filed this dispatch from Hollywood:  'Last time I saw them they were all sitting in a screening room watching Splendor in the Grass.  Joan laughed a lot.  Natalie wept.'

End of paragraph.

Whew!  Obviously, Robert Wagner and Natalie Wood got back together, or not, because they separated the following year and divorced the year after that. (Their first marriage together.)

Anyways, lots of the people interviewed in the book are unknown to me, but it's still interesting.  Only one was off-putting and decided I didn't like her (Shirley Knight) and Sandy Dennis is just a boring as I thought IRL and she admitted it herself over and over again.  lol

Rex Reed is very funny.  I do remember him and just googled--he's still alive!

Honored Contributor

Hey, glad you're enjoying it, @Lucky Charm !  I think the self-deprecating intro that Reed wrote about himself is as interesting as any of his subjects.  He is indeed funny.

Don't miss the profile on playwright Robert Anderson, it's sweet.  He was married to Teresa Wright (brilliant-Oscar-winning-movie-star-Teresa-Wright), and she appears in the interview...

Honored Contributor

Any thing by Tony Curtis is a good tell all too

Honored Contributor

@Oznell - I don't "know" Rex Reed, but I love to read articles about Old Hollywood. This one sounds like fun!

I remember reading a tell all by a famous journalist years ago. The one thing she wrote about that I remember is she said Goldie Hawn was unkempt. She would go weeks without washing her hair!  Smiley Wink