Super Contributor

REVENGE: Is It Time for the ABC Show to End?

Published: November 9, 2014 tvseriesfinale.com

Revenge TV show on ABC

Last year, the ratings for Revenge hit new lows but ABC renewed it anyway — likely so that there would be enough episodes for a syndication package. How are things going this season? Have the ratings improved or is it time for the series to end?

Things have changed on this season of Revenge but Emily Thorne (Emily VanCamp) and Victoria Grayson (Madeleine Stowe) still have plenty of reasons to hate each other. The rest of the show’s cast includes Gabriel Mann, Nick Wechsler, Josh Bowman, Christa B. Allen, James Tupper, and Karine Vanasse.

The first season of Revenge averaged a 2.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 7.8 million viewers. The second season dropped to a 2.2 rating and 7.0 million. Last season took an even bigger tumble and the ratings averaged a 1.6 in the demo with 5.9 million viewers.

Unfortunately, this season is performing even worse. The episodes that have aired thus far have averaged a 1.2 rating with 4.9 million. It’s the network’s lowest-rated drama and second-lowest rated scripted series (below Friday’s Cristela sitcom).

Based on the ratings, there seems to be little reason for ABC to continue renewing Revenge. If this is indeed the final season (as it’s rumored to be), hopefully the cast and crew will wrap up the series in a satisfying way.

What do you think? Do you think it’s time for Revenge to end? If you ran the network, would you cancel it or keep it going for a fifth season?

Honored Contributor

Re: REVENGE: Is It Time for the ABC Show to End?

I am enjoying this season, but seasons 2 and 3 were awful, bordering on ridiculous for me.

Respected Contributor

This season is better then the last two.

Super Contributor

I was extremely surprised by the timing of this speculative piece. The current season is a vast improvement over the previous two. The storylines are interesting and they make sense, too.What a concept! That 10 PM Sunday timeslot is crucial to the network's overall success. Despite lackluster ratings, Revenge has a proven track record. ABC would be reluctant to cancel it and replace it with a new, untested program that has the potential of attracting even lower viewership.
Honored Contributor

True, they have not an abc hit in that time slot since Bros and Sis went off the air. I like the new time, not conflicting with Good Wife except on late football nights.

Honored Contributor

Yes it's time for this show to end. Season 1 was great. Season 2 was bad and season 3 was ridiculous. I thought season 4 showed promise but now it's just getting out there again. IMO enough is enough already.

I have to wonder if ratings are so dismal this season even though the stories are slightly better because people just gave up after last year's foolishness. If it wasn't for my DH wanting to stick with it, I never would have tuned in this year. A couple of my friends gave up after last year.

Super Contributor

Regarding the latest Revenge episode, "Ambush" (S4/Ep07) on 11.09.2014:

First of all, I thought the title would've been more appropriate and applicable to the previous week's installment when David blindsided Nolan during the TV interview.

Secondly, why was psycho Louise Ellis hallucinating about her mother just before locking Margaux in the steam room? (Not that Margaux didn't deserve it for being so endlessly annoying). Were there any previous scenes with the overbearing mother? Or is Louise's emotional damage the result of constant criticism and complaining by her mommie dearest? Is there anyone else who doubts that Louise really is a socialite? I'm wondering if she's a penniless pretender, attempting to insinuate herself into Daniel Grayson's life, in some convoluted plot aimed at regaining lost wealth and privilege? Louise has targeted Daniel, but is Victoria's former sanitarium roommate so insane that she's unaware the Graysons have lost all of their money? Perhaps Louise's infatuation with Daniel is merely a fatal attraction. Additionally, Daniel jumped at the opportunity to handle Louise's portfolio, assuming there is actually money to be invested and the huge commissions he'd collect. Wouldn't a Dun & Bradstreet report on her actual finances be in order before committing time to her account? If not a D&B, then at the very least a background check? Here I go again with suspension of disbelief, but really?

Finally, I'm wondering about the country club owner Charles Dawson, played by Charles Shaughnessy (Maxwell Sheffield on The Nanny). Was that some feeble attempt at an American dialect intended to disguise his native English accent? If so, intermittently it sounded quasi-Southern, and really very bad. Could he have some connection to Louise? (Other than the fact that both actors are truly bad at doing Southern dialects?) Are they co-conspirators? It seems odd that an actor of Shaugnessy's stature would play such a minor role and never be seen again. Does anyone else believe that he's destined to reappear in a pivotal part in some plot?

Honored Contributor

I have loved Chas Shaughnessy ever since he played a handsome Brit on Days of Our lives back in the 80's. I did detect his accent was pretty much gone on Revenge.

Regular Contributor

I'm seeing Louise's fixation on Victoria, not Daniel. There was a scene that she fantasized Victoria treating her like a daughter but then Victoria came into the bar and was dismissive of her. She sees Victoria treating Margaux as part of the family, so wants her out of the picture.

I do think this season is better than the last couple. I was ready to give up, but have started to enjoy it again.

Esteemed Contributor

I was thinking the latest shows are getting good again.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau