Honored Contributor

RETRO TV DETECTIVE SERIES BARNABY JONES ON DVD

[ Edited ]

An admitted fiend for certain types of '60's and '70's detective shows (but I'm selective), I'm currently working my way through this series, which ran from 1973 to 1980.  Have caught at least half of the shows before, either online or on TV, but they are eminently rewatchable and stand up well.

Premise:  The series starts out with a detective, Hal Jones, being cold-bloodedly murdered in a phone booth in the middle of a sensitive, politically explosive case.  His devastated father Barnaby (a veteran private eye himself) returns to practice to solve the murder, bringing on Hal's shattered widow Betty (Lee Meriwether) as his secretary and impromptu lab assistant.  (He has an elaborate crime lab right in his office, natch!)

gettyimages-150119782-612x612.jpgThings to love about "Barnaby Jones":

Buddy Ebsen.  Extremely skilled performer, able to convey a kind of sweet innocence, while at the same time exuding the watchful shrewdness of a top detective.  Ebsen was a talented young dancer in the 30's (critics have called his unique style "surrealistic").  Love the gangly young Buddy dancing with Shirley Temple.  Was first choice for the Tin Man in "The Wizard of Oz, when an allergic reaction to the silvery coating on his skin sidelined him in favor of Jack Haley.  What a horrible disappointment for him.  Yet, he prevailed and had an extremely long, interesting career.

His office.  Supposedly in an old, heritage L.A. office building.  Superb old paneling, brass fixtures, hints of Americana, and yes, that fantastic laboratory appending.

Lee Meriwether.   His beautiful, devoted daughter-in-law. Rivals the super-efficient Gail Fisher (Mannix's secretary "Peggy Fair") in personal-assistant-perfection.  She has the same protective, fun, gracious, approachable quality Peggy had. I love the way they dress Lee Meriwether in this.  Perfect Seventies 'prep school' feminity. In publicity photos for the show they had her kind of bouffant and lacquered-- but in the episodes, she was beautifully low-key yet polished:

Like Peggy, it's fun to see what she'll be wearing to work each day!

Also to love:  The guest stars.  And like in other Quinn Martin productions, they had everyone.  Barry Sullivan, Tommy Lee Jones, William Conrad (who appears as "Cannon" in a criss-cross episode) Leslie Nielsen, Marie Windsor, Joan Van Ark, James Woods, Bill Bixby, Dabney Coleman, Stefanie Powers, on and on.  William Shatner made one of his ubiquitous series appearances, as the most dastardly of opponents for Barnaby:

Of course, for those of us who love interior design, period set design, costuming, etc. the series is a visual delight.

Finally, even in the midst of the post-Youthquake, youth-worshipping 1970's,  Barnaby Jones presented a complex, non-stereotyped, mature fictional character, highly respected by his younger associates.  I've always found that immensely appealing.     

Esteemed Contributor

Re: RETRO TV DETECTIVE SERIES BARNABY JONES ON DVD

@Oznell  One of my cable channels had a Barnaby Jones marathon not too long ago and I taped it.  It was nice to watch since I find very few shows today worth my time.  I am always looking for these marathons as I scroll through channels.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

We own all the Barnaby Jones'. They are delightful. It is fun to see some of today's BIG stars in minor roles-like Tommy Lee Jones.

Honored Contributor

One more thing: my fav is the one w/Wayne Rodgers and Stephanie Powers. Surprise ending!!

Honored Contributor

Now I'm going to have to look for that one, @Group 5 minus 1--  sounds intriguing.

So far, my favorite might be the one with Shatner --  he and Janice Rule in hiding at that glorious lake-and-mountain resort were quite the scoundrel pair!  No match for Barnaby's deductive skills, of course...

Honored Contributor

@Oznell   I was a fan also, but not knowing if I still would be, only bought Seasons 1 and 2, still havn't watched most as I am watching others, right now my obsession is watching the movies I recorded on VHS in the 90's, many with Patty Duke, what a body of work, really took off in her mid 40's.  I watched an interview online recently wherein she said she thought in her thirties "they" didn't know what to do with her, but once her face had some character, i.e., age, she accomplished a lot every year.

I am still watching film noir, but the movies are becoming redundant, though a few new here and there.

I think I will play a Barnaby Jones dvd in the kitchen while I work in there.

Honored Contributor

Ha, multi-tasking, @mousiegirl --  good idea!   I can do that with certain shows, "Perry Mason" being one of them...

I always like to get your take.  If you can, let us know if you think the "Barnaby" episodes, overall, still hold up.  (Even if they didn't, I'd watch, as I love to see the high production values, the sets, clothes, and southern California ambiance of the period!)

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell  I just love these shows from the past. I love seeing the clothes we wore and hearing the slang. Oh and the cars!  Great show! 

Honored Contributor

@godi, I totally forgot the cars, which are definitely one of the pleasures of these detective series,  you are right!

I think my favorite show for cars is "Mannix".  Mike Connors was apparently a car freak in real life...

Mike-Connors-le-mythique-detective-Joe-Mannix-est-mort.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell  Your so right about Mannix!  Those big cars. You could easily fit 8 people in them! 🤣🤣