Honored Contributor

REMINDER KIRK DOUGLAS TRIBUTE TCM THURSDAY

MV5BMTc1NDc0MjI5NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMDE1MjM2._V1_UY1200_CR157,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Just a reminder-- it starts at 6:00 a.m. Eastern and includes many of his ever-fresh, incisive performances, kicking off with "The Strange Love of Martha Ivers":

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2020-03-05

There are so many fascinating photos of Kirk.  Fun to see him and Charlton Heston listening intently to Gina Lollobrigida...

gina-lollobrigida-charlton-heston-kirk-douglas-60s-PPPTY7.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: REMINDER KIRK DOUGLAS TRIBUTE TCM THURSDAY

Thanks for the reminder & the schedule link.  The only Kirk Douglas film I am interested in watching is "Spartacus." I swear, that movie comes on once a year!  Always near Easter.

The Bad & The Beautiful is great also.  Excellent cast all around.  Why show this 2:30 am EST?  Oh well, TCM will repeat or Movies will show this movie in a favorable time slot soon enough.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I first saw Kirk Douglas in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea!  He made quite a number of great movies.  I loved Spartacus, I was glued to the screen hoping his character would survive.  Man With A Horn was another good one and I did admire him as Vincent Van Gogh in Lust for Life.  I also enjoyed the Vikings.  

Kirk Douglas certainly left his mark in the entertainment world and his movies will live on.  I read that he left quite a bit of money to charity which is uplifting and admirable.

Honored Contributor

Yeah, I can never decide which of his performances is my favorite.  The suave but lethal young gangster in "Out of the Past" is near the top.  There's "Ace in the Hole",  but that film about corrupt journalists is too hard to watch, for me.

Even as a young actor, he could infuse a role with layers and ambiguity.  I actually felt sympathy for his hard-drinking, besotted husband portrayal in "The Strange Love of Martha Ivers"--  he and Stanwyck and Van Heflin playing off each other were superb!

And strictly for kicks, I loved his flamboyant turn as the charming Canadian sociopath opposite ex-British intelligence officer George C. Scott, in "The List of Adrian Messinger".....

Honored Contributor

Kirk deserves at least one picture in "living color":

primary_EB19690601PEOPLE50221003AR.jpg