Honored Contributor

RAYMOND BURR, SCREEN TESTING FOR "PERRY MASON" AND "HAMILTON BURGER"!

[ Edited ]

Whoa, guys, found this treasure when looking for "Clash by Night" trailers to put up.

This is introduced by beautiful Barbara Hale.  We can thank our lucky stars that she was cast as efficient, sophisticated Della Street, when you see the other interpretations of "Della" in this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv22BnAMJUg

How about Raymond Burr playing "Hamilton Burger"???   Of course Burr brings all his legendary authority and intensity to every part, but it's weird to see him playing the often-frustrated district attorney.  I love Raymond Burr's dimples.

And adorable William Hopper gets to audition for the part of "Perry" in this, as opposed to detective "Paul Drake".  Burr is the definitive Perry Mason, but a few of Hopper's line readings as "Perry" were really good.  But, in the series, Hopper was perfect as playboy/private eye Paul Drake.

Screen tests are weird.  There's that slow, almost "druggy" pacing,  reminds me of the daytime soap opera style of acting!  

Anyway, it's huge fun to see different actors trying out for the parts in this now-celebrated TV courtroom series.... 

Honored Contributor

Re: RAYMOND BURR, SCREEN TESTING FOR "PERRY MASON" AND "HAMILTON BURGER"!

Oh, good grief, in my excitement I at first put up the "Clash by Night" clip here, instead of the "Perry Mason" one!   It's fixed now.

Regular Contributor

Thanks so much for sharing this- what a treat for this Raymond/Perry addict! Rose

Honored Contributor

Burr was so thin!   Amazing how they cast the right people in these roles including Ray Collins as Tragg. 

Thanks as usual, @Oznell for sharing!!

Super Contributor

What an absolute treat!  Those old Perry Masons have been my all time favorite tv show.   I think William Hopper might have pulled off the Perry part, but he was much better suited to the Paul Drake role.   And, who but Raymond Burrr could ever have been the ultimate Perry.  His subtlety comes through even in the screen test.  And, Barbara was so far above and different from the other actresses.  She brought a professional assistant air to the part, as opposed to the tryouts who were going for the stereotypical sexy secretary type.  

They made the right choices!  And so glad they did.  Thanks again for sharing this!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qvcrose, @kaydee50 and @Twoaces --  we're in total sync on this.  Fun to hear from other "Perry" aficionados!

Edited to add--  @Twoaces, you're so right about Burr's subtlety and Hale's professionalism.  The producers could so easily have missed the mark in their casting, but luckily the right people were picked for the right parts.

And thank you @kaydee50 for mentioning yeoman character actor Ray Collins.  He had his character down cold, even right in this early audition tape... 

Valued Contributor

Thanks for posting this. We taped the series on FETV and have been enjoying watching all summer when there has not been much on. Great series!

Respected Contributor

@Oznell  Thanks for posting the Raymond Burr screen test. To me, the best part was at the end where he smiles. As you said, his dimples. We rarely see him smile. He's always sooo intensely serious. I  liked William Hopper as Paul Drake. He was also, easy on the eyes. My husband still watches Perry all the time. 

Take care!

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Honored Contributor

Good book on Burr out by the way.  He had a 'thing' for Natalie Wood it wasn't reciprocated . She did attend some functions with him, though.

Honored Contributor

HIDING IN PLAIN SIGHT: SECRET LIFE OF RAYMOND BURR.

by Michael Seth Starr

Amazon