Honored Contributor

RARE CLASSIC DETECTIVE SERIES TO OWN-- YAY

[ Edited ]

Well, I was on the hunt specifically for classic, preferably midcentury (Fifties through Sixties, Seventies) U.S. TV detective shows, and hit pay dirt.

A lot of these are fairly obscure to me, mostly U.S., with a few Brits thrown in.  Detectives, police, espionage.  Love the fact that these fantastic actors, many of them from the movies, made these shows. Of course, many of the series had a limited run, say maybe 39 episodes, but to me that is plenty, if the production is good.

And look at the names: 

Ralph Meeker--  "Not for Hire"

Richard Widmark--  "Madigan"

Beverly Garland-- "Decoy"

Mike Connors--  "Tightrope"

Glenn Ford--  "Cade's County

John Cassavetes--  "Johnny Staccato"

Brian Donleavy--  "Dangerous Assignment

Richard Carlson--  "I Led Three Lives"

Leslie Neilsen--  "The New Breed"

And on and on.  Some of these are familiar, some I've never heard of.  Not sure if the direct link would be permitted, but you can get to the site by googling:

TV's Greatest Detective Series,  Thomas Film Classics

Honored Contributor

Re: RARE CLASSIC DETECTIVE SERIES TO OWN-- YAY

Apologies.  When I put in how to reach the site by googling, I inadvertently added an extra "greatest" in the title.  Now corrected.  Hope if anyone tried to reach the site and wasn't able to, they will see this and try again with the correct word formulation!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell

Staccato

You'll like Johnny Staccato.

Staccato

Pour yourself a martini and enjoy.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I never heard of any of these detective series. I guess because my taste in TV shows were aimed more toward cartoons and comedies in the 50s and 60s.

But I definitely want to check out Richard Carlson "I Led Three Lives". The series ran from 1953 - 1956. I just read that he died at age 65.

Oznell, you are making me learn something all the time. Thanks

Honored Contributor

What a treasure trove for students of film, or anyone who wants to see these classics again.  I recognize many of the titles you list.  

I see they also have The Thin Man with Peter Lawford and Phyllis Kirk.  I remember watching that and loving it as a kid.  

I see they also have a whole lot of unsold pilots.  If I could afford it, I'd be shopping my heart out!

Thanks, @Oznell  (Some day I fully expect to see you as a host on TCM.)  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Absolutely, @just bee-- what's not to like?  Maybe it was you who told me a while back to watch out for this one?  Someone on here, oh it might have been @trenet, was touting it as really, really good.  And really, with John Cassavetes, how could it miss?

That is almost spooky, @drizzellla-- the Richard Carlson one snagged my attention immediately too!  One, I'd love a series dealing with efforts to uncover aspects of the Communist Party U.S.A. during its heyday.  Two, Richard Carlson is a favorite of mine-- love his plummy voice.  Just saw an episode of "Cannon" in which an older Carlson played a tycoon whose younger wife was plotting against him....

Honored Contributor

Ha, ha, that'd be the day, @GingerPeach, but thanks. 

Not sure what I'll pick up next, now that I'm almost through the final season of "Mannix".  Had been thinking of "Barnaby Jones"  (total comfort food of U.S. detective shows), but now not entirely sure...

Honored Contributor

The "Cannon" episode sounds like the movie "We're Not Married" and the portion of the movie with Louis Calhern and Zsa Zsa Gabor.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GingerPeach wrote:

What a treasure trove for students of film, or anyone who wants to see these classics again.  I recognize many of the titles you list.  

I see they also have The Thin Man with Peter Lawford and Phyllis Kirk.  I remember watching that and loving it as a kid.  

I see they also have a whole lot of unsold pilots.  If I could afford it, I'd be shopping my heart out!

Thanks, @Oznell  (Some day I fully expect to see you as a host on TCM.)  

I saw a few months ago a retro TV station was showing The Thin Man. I thought it was William Powell. Until I turned it on. It must have been the Peter Lawford version. I don't remember the station or if they are still showing it.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Absolutely, @just bee-- what's not to like?  Maybe it was you who told me a while back to watch out for this one?  Someone on here, oh it might have been @trenet, was touting it as really, really good.  And really, with John Cassavetes, how could it miss?

@Oznell

It was me.  I was surfing one night and found a couple episodes on an oldies channel.  Knew it would be right up your noir alley. Woman Very Happy

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~