Respected Contributor

Re: R. Kelly--anyone watching?

Chrystaltree, how would I have expected kids to know things back in the day?

BECAUSE THEY NEARLY ALWAYS DID.

I learned a huge amount from my street-savvy students.

Valued Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

Okay.  I heard a little about this today.  

I don't understand if he did all of these things why charges haven't been brought and he's in jail...or at least headed to court.

I did hear about the parents of a 23-YO who are concerned about her and she did a video where she says she's fine and happy.  SHE'S 23.  Not much they can do about that, whether they think she's "brainwashed" or not.

Is this another case of assaults/wrongdoing that weren't reported "in real time"?

When she went on TMZ to say she was doing fine she was only 18 (her last name is Savage), and there was a 13 year old girl with her at the time.

The mother of the 13 yr old found her in CA and was able to get her away from R. Kelly but she went back to him after 3 days with her mom; thank goodness this 13 yr old had the good since to walk away a few weeks after going back.

There is also an 18 (or 19) year old girl from FL that met him at one of his concerts when she was 16 (I believe), R. Kelly gave her his phone number and they started talking and she met him at a hotel when she was 17 (things happened that shouldn't have). when she was 17 her parents let her go to Chicago because R. Kelly convinced them he would have someone with her at all times (her older sister was there for a while) but her family last saw her Jun 2016 for her High School graduation; the show showed her parents in Chicago trying to have Police do a welfare check but no one would answer the door but you knew people were home and Police said there was nothing they could do.

Several people who had been on R. Kelly's payroll at one time or another have said they were tipped off by the Police in Chicago when they got calls from Parents wanting them to do Welfare checks (they would move the girls or not answer doors).

Honored Contributor

I’ve read stories for years about this creepy guy preying on young adult and teenage female fans. Combination of brainwashing and essentially holding them hostage. Hard to get the girls to press charges.
Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
I’ve read stories for years about this creepy guy preying on young adult and teenage female fans. Combination of brainwashing and essentially holding them hostage. Hard to get the girls to press charges.

And since he had/has friends in the Chicago Police Department tipping everyone off in his entourage, it's hard to nail him with charges.  

Honored Contributor

Why is he still an artist with RCA and where is the outrage from the RCA artists about this?

There has been outrage about people for so much less, but nobody seems to be outraged about this.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I didn't know who he was until that show, I can back to not knowing who and what he is.

Respected Contributor

I watched the entire series and I cannot believe that this predator has not been put "under the jail" where IMO he belongs!

SMH, this is very sad and tragic.

I will never hear that beautiful song, " I believe I can fly" the same way again!

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

I started watching it. It's just so deeply disturbing to me that it makes me feel ill. And these "friends" he has in the police department (s?), I'd venture a guess that they're being paid off by him. 

It's outrageous

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

Hopefully all of this publicity keeps up and the law suits keep up and it eventually squeezes his finances.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I won't give him the time of day....not even a second to watch that show, no thanks.

...and that's incredibly sad, too, because he has great musical talent...what a shame.