Frequent Contributor

I checked the previous thread about " The Americans" and didn't see my question discussed. I haven't been able to figure out who the woman was that Phillip hacked up. I watched that part a second time but still couldn't tell.  Can anyone help?

Honored Contributor

Re: Question re: The Americans

[ Edited ]

Marilyn an American who helps Liz & Phillip when possible.

She was in the truck w/Phillip & Liz when the FBI started shooting up the truck during the botched heist.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Frequent Contributor

That's what I thought at first. I did see her get shot but didn't understand why they would do what they did. Can you enlighten me further?

Respected Contributor

By 'disposing' of her hands and head--identification of the body would be almost impossible.  They are trying to avoid having her identified as a spy, which may lead authorities to Philip and Elizabeth and other Soviets embedded in the US.

Honored Contributor

@neetsPA

In previous episodes (past seasons), when one of their "helpers" gets killed, they are put away to never be found and/or disfigured so its hard to identify.

Since the heist in Chicago was botched, Phillip had to go "old school." in the spur of the moment.  He was going to put Marilyn's body in the trunk of their get-away car when he saw the axe hanging on the wall. 

Chop off head & hands.  All parts disposed of separately so the authorities cannot identify and/or connect the person to "Russian" spys and/or the botched heist.  When Liz threw some of the body parts in the water, they were NOT in Chicago where the heist took place.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

One of the best shows on TV and I will miss it. I'm stumped as to the ending. Now that it's the 80s, the show must come to a close since spy v spy has changed so much since the last century, with Internet, DNA samples, face recognition software, social media, shared agency information and public cameras. It's hard to hide like Elizabeth and Philip have been able to do. I hope Philip and kids get Stan's help and go into Witness Protection Program. But who knows.... Watching with interest.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

Now I'm thinking that Phillip and Elizabeth will be caught but that she will use the cyanide tablet and he will strike a deal to serve little prison time or no prison time.

Respected Contributor

I'm puzzled by Stan's girl friend. I think she is a Russian spy too.

When Stan when into the home and remembered the guy saying something about "spys hiding in plain site with a family", makes you think he is closing in. 

I think a few characters will survive for a spin off.Paige going for State Dept internship.  But Elizabeth is either dead or goes back to Russia. I thought Phillip would figure out how to stay in US but if spin off with Paige that might not be possible.

The good guys will win. 

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for all your replies. It all makes sense to me now.