Trusted Contributor

Question about using streaming services

[ Edited ]

Please don't laugh - Smiley Very Happy - we're still using primarily cable and only a couple of streaming channels - Netflix and Discovery+. 

I'm contemplating switching to an all streaming service that has cable channel lineups, but - how does that work?

For example - when I switch from TV into Roku it shows tiles for the available channels.  To switch a channel you have to back out to the main menu and select a different one.

When you've got all 150 or whatever channels on streaming instead of cable, you don't have to repeat this back and forth process to channel surf, do you?  

Honored Contributor

Re: Question about using streaming services

@PilatesLover - I can only speak for what we have.  When we dropped cable, we first tried Fubo, but didn't get on very well with it.  The app kept crashing.

So we switched to YouTubeTV and are happy with that.

Both of them had a menu like we'd see on our cable menu, and we just scroll down through the channels.  Or you can use "search" to go to it.

I was concerned that it would be quite a learning curve after decades of cable, but it wasn't.

The only difference for us is that our Samsung tv shows all the apps we have (YouTube, Prime, Hulu, PBS, etc.) as tiles and we just click on the one we want.  But that's for the apps.  Once you're into them each one is pretty easy to navigate.

Esteemed Contributor

@PilatesLover I feel the same as @Venezia .  We finally cut the cord recently and have never looked back!  It's fairly easy to learn and yes it may take a little more time to change channels but for me it's a Godsend, LOL.   DH drove me crazy with his channel surfing and this system is not only saving us $$ but helping to change his bad habit!  

Honored Contributor

@PilatesLover   I wouldn't dare laugh at you because I still pay Comcast for TV, Wi-Fi, and even a phone.  I pay for no streaming services, but was thinking of adding one until I read a financial analyst's report yesterday in which he opined that streaming is already costing the streaming companies more than they thought it would and bringing in fewer new customers than they epected it would.  That's bad for investors and makes me reluctant to buy any new equipment to stream...

I've already forgotten what's inline to replace the streaming.There's another long story about why Comcast and why all 3 services -all unnecessary to include here!

Honored Contributor

@millieshops    All you need for streaming is a $30 Roku or an Amazon Fire Stick, one-time cost purchase.  You might also want to add an interior antenna to get local channels.  I paid $12 each for my Mohu antennas on Amazon.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

I've stayed in a couple of Airbnb condos that had only Roku. There are plenty of channels available, but I don't find it user friendly. I don't like all the clicking around just to browse, and having to back out after deciding I don't want to watch something I picked.

I have Xfinity, and like being able to easily switch back and forth between channels if I want to. I can also browse the guide while watching a show. There are streaming apps included, but I hardly ever watch them.

Regular Contributor

I'd like to help as I have cut the cable cord not long ago.  But I am not sure I understand your question.  If you are completely cutting cable and will use Roku to stream (smartest choice by the way!), then "yes" if you want to switch between say discovery and Netflix, you would do so by going to Home and selelcting the tile.  What "150" channels are you referring to?  If you mean the free Roku channel, that is separate and independent from your other services like Netflix.  Happy to help out if you still have questions and could clarify a bit.

And just do it.  Cut out cable.  It is way easier than you think.  Give yourself a few months to get used to how it all works.  Remember -- if you then decide that you do not like the streaming way of entertainment, your cable tv provider will welcome you back with open arms!

Respected Contributor

@PilatesLover, I'm not certain if what I post will be clear, but here goes. 

If you want your traditional Over The Air channels, like your local network channels for ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, CW, PBS and their substations plus some additional stations you will need an antenna attached to the coaxial port.

Are you currently using a smart TV with predesignated streaming icons on your remote like Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Redbox, Prime Video? It sounds as if you have a Roku ready TV, possibly a TCL brand.

Some like Netflix and Prime are for On Demand streaming and require a subscription service. Those are shortcuts to use if you have an account with those services. 

TV will stream with two different functions. Live streaming and On Demand streaming. Live streaming is your local channels and all those free Roku channels. They are free to watch and the guide should be available for viewing as you scroll.

You should also have On Demand streaming icons listed. Those are the channels you need a subscription for. So even though you may see a Prime Video, or an Apple TV, Showtime, Netflix, Hulu, BritBox and on and on icons available to be able to use those icons you need to have a subscription to those services. Those On Demand icons require you to exit their icon after each use. So yes you need to keep going back with those.

Hope that makes sense. And if anyone sees an error or can make it more clear please help clarify.