Respected Contributor

Question about Turner Classic Movies

I haven't watched many movies for a few years because the sound on my TV was horrible and made even worse on older movies.  Well, I purchased  a soundbar which makes the sound good again.  

What I noticed on some movies on TCM is that they seem to get narrated.  It's so annoying.  Is that because they think people can't follow what is on a well made movie with a great script.

Is there a way to turn the narration off???

Honored Contributor

Re: Question about Turner Classic Movies

Not sure what you're referring to.  Sometimes to fill the time between full length movies, they will have a "short" about some topic or short film.  Sometimes, these shorts will have a narration.  But they would typically not last more than 10 or 15 minutes.

Honored Contributor

I watch that channel all the time and it has sound like all my other channels and no narration, except if it is a silent movie from the twenties. And as the previous poster said, there can be a short or filler in between movies.

Honored Contributor

Wondering if your Closed Captions accidentally is turned on.

What make/model is your TV?

Or Google this info....you’ll find your answer!

Honored Contributor

Is the narration during the movie? Do you have the narration and the dialogue from the movie at the same time?

Respected Contributor

@kaydee50 @drizzellla @sidsmom @proudlyfromNJ

Thanks for your response.  It seems to happen only on some movies and it explains what happens on screen like "she is walking toward the window while thinking it over".  

I just now checked the movie that is on and it does not happen.

Hope it was only that one day (Sunday, I think).  But then I didn't try to watch another movie after that. 

Respected Contributor

@CLEM

Do you have Comcast cable Xfinity1? There's something on the remote that I accidently hit one day and got the same type of narration you're referring to. There's a way to turn it off in the settings.

Glad the soundbar is helping you hear the old movies better!

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum
Respected Contributor

Enjoy TCM again ....!!

Respected Contributor

@lainey1  Yes, I have Comcast Xfinity.  Perhaps that is the answer that I hit something on the remote.  I am just glad this is not something permanent on TCM.

Respected Contributor

@CLEM

To turn the narration off:

On your remote, click the Infinity button to take you to the menu at the bottom of your screen (guide, saved, etc.). Go to the last option on the right, (looks like a gear) to go into your settings. 

Scroll down to "Accessibility Settings" and enter (hit OK on your remote)

Scroll down to "Video Description" - it probably says "ON" next to it. To turn it off, press the OK button on your remote. It should now say "OFF" next to it. 

Hope this works for you.

There must be some combination of buttons to hit on the remote that turns it on because I never turned it on through settings and one day I was watching a movie and the narration started. So if it happens again, at least I know how to turn it off!

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum