Honored Contributor

Question about Lori Greiner/Shark Tank

I've been meaning to ask this for ages and keep forgetting:

Does anyone know why every deal she makes on Shark Tank ends up with her name on it, sold as "Clever and Unique Creations by Lori Greiner?" No other shark does this.

If you make a deal with any of the other sharks -- who are all much richer than she is (notice how in the intro she is the only one whose wealth is given in sales figures as opposed to how much money she has) -- your product has your name on it or the name you gave it. If you make a deal with Lori, it has her name on it.

Why?

Respected Contributor

Re: Question about Lori Greiner/Shark Tank

it is the same with Joy Mangano

1. Lori Greiner is an American inventor, investor, entrepreneur, and television personality. She is best known as a "Shark" investor on ABC's Shark Tank. Wikipedia
  2. Born: December 9, 1969 (age 44), Chicago, IL
  3. Education: Loyola University Chicago

1. Joy Mangano is an American inventor and entrepreneur known for inventions such as the self-wringing Miracle Mop and Huggable Hangers. She is the President of Ingenious Designs, LLC, and appears regularly on HSN. Wikipedia

Everything isn't what it seems to be...

some are chosen to carry the ball like a real teachers pet most of the real inventors get swallowed up by want a bees

Why this happens because most people are too busy making a living, raising families or waste time in TV land or other distractions...

Years ago the internet had wealth of information to find out who was who now most of the negatives or gone and only the veneer is left...

Respected Contributor

She invests in them 1st and then brings the product to QVC...she's a partner/investor in the product therefore part owner...it's not a QVC investment or QVC owned product.

Respected Contributor

On 11/4/2014 straykatz said:

She invests in them 1st and then brings the product to QVC...she's a partner/investor in the product therefore part owner...it's not a QVC investment or QVC owned product.

True but the impression the public gets many times is that these are also they are the inventor of many of the products, some how that should be clarified more.

Farmsworth invented the TV but was RCA that usurp the invention it has happen to many you put in the time, money, effort only to have the big fish swallow them up....

Respected Contributor

Years ago Joy Mangano was selling the ROLYKIT which she said she had invented. My Father had already owned them. They were purchased by him ,in Europe ,way before Joy M. appeared on the scene. I guess who ever discovers something first gets to take the credit.
Honored Contributor

On 11/4/2014 straykatz said:

That is the point of my question.

The real billionaires (Mark Cuban, Daymond John, Kevin O'Leary, Barbara Corcoran, and Robert Herjavec) do NOT put their names on the products. It is only Lori Greiner who does that.

Super Contributor

>>> Javala-la said: Farmsworth invented the TV but was RCA that usurp (sic) the invention it has happen to many you put in the time, money, effort only to have the big fish swallow them up....<<<</em>

To be accurate, the correct name is Farnsworth as in Philo T. Farnsworth.

To be fair, there was no single inventor of television; it was collaborative with one advancement building upon previous work.

In this case, Vladimir Zworykin's 1923 invention of the Iconoscope for RCA came before Farnsworth's 1927 patent filing.

Here's additional information from Who Invented Television? - The Farnsworth Chronicles:
http://www.farnovision.com/chronicles/tfc-who_invented_what.html

===================================================

"I know that God exists. I know that I have never invented anything. I have been a medium by which these things were given to the culture as fast as the culture could earn them. I give all the credit to God."

--Philo T. Farnsworth

So... who really invented television?

As compelling as the story of Philo T. Farnsworth may be, the historical record with regard to "who invented television" remains fuzzy at best, deliberately distorted at worst. The debate often comes down to a simple question: Does any single individual deserve to be remembered as the sole inventor of television? Can we create for television the kind of mythology of individual, creative genius that history has bestowed on Morse, Edison, Bell, or the Wright Brothers?

The question may be simple, but clearly the answer is not. Before Uncle Milty, before Walter Cronkite, before Lucy and Desi and Ethel and Fred, literally hundreds of scientists and engineers contributed to the development of the appliance that now dominates "our living room dreams." How can we single out any single individual and say, "it all started here"?

The historical record is sadly devoid of references to Farnsworth. Though the oversight has begun to improve in recent years, it is still entirely possible to open an encyclopedia and read that electronic television began when "Vladimir Zworykin invented the Iconoscope for RCA in 1923 ..."-a sentence that manages to express no less than three historical inaccuracies. The most conspicuous error-the "1923" date-conspicuously fixes Zworykin's name chronologically before Farnsworth's 1927 patent filing, and often renders Farnsworth to the status of "another contributor" in the field.

Some historians have gone so far as to suggest that Farnsworth and Zworykin should be regarded as "co-inventors." But that conclusion ignores Zworykin's 1930 visit to Farnsworth's lab, where many witnesses heard Zworykin say "I wish that I might have invented it." Moreover, it ignores the conclusion of the patent office, in its 1935 decision in Interference #64,027, which states quite clearly "priority of invention awarded to Farnsworth."

These misinterpretations of the historical record are precisely what more than sixty years of corporate public relations wants us to believe-that television was "too complex to be invented by a single individual." But close examination of the stories beneath the written record reveals a far more compelling story: In fact, there was one inventor of electronic television. Video as we now know it first took root in the mind of Philo T. Farnsworth when he was fourteen years old, and he was the first to successfully demonstrate the principle, in his lab in San Francisco on September 7, 1927. If you need to fix a date on which television was invented, that's the date.

To read the complete article: Who Invented Television? - The Farnsworth Chronicles

===============================================

Back to the matter of Lori Grenier of Shark Tank, full disclosure - not one of my favs, but it is aptly named. These inventors are business neophytes who quickly become chum in exchange for a quick cash infusion and the promise of more wealth and fame down the road. If only they'd seek sound legal advice instead of going on that show.

Here's a sad object lesson regarding what happens when you give away your rights to and future royalties from an invention:
Guy Who Invented 'Operation' Is Broke, Needs One Himself ...

John Spinello, Inventor Of 'Operation' Game, Can't Afford ...

Honored Contributor

Because she's just like SG, ripping off other people's creations and calling them her own. I don't and never did think much of either of these women, and you can add the other one too, who does all the Christmas wreaths. They are nothing but salespeople to me. No talent.

Sorry, negative post . . . but they are not hosts.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

On 11/4/2014 keri said:

>>> Javala-la said: Farmsworth invented the TV but was RCA that usurp (sic) the invention it has happen to many you put in the time, money, effort only to have the big fish swallow them up....<<<</em>

To be accurate, the correct name is Farnsworth as in Philo T. Farnsworth.

To be fair, there was no single inventor of television; it was collaborative with one advancement building upon previous work.

In this case, Vladimir Zworykin's 1923 invention of the Iconoscope for RCA came before Farnsworth's 1927 patent filing.

Here's additional information from Who Invented Television? - The Farnsworth Chronicles:

===================================================

"I know that God exists. I know that I have never invented anything. I have been a medium by which these things were given to the culture as fast as the culture could earn them. I give all the credit to God."

--Philo T. Farnsworth

So... who really invented television?

As compelling as the story of Philo T. Farnsworth may be, the historical record with regard to "who invented television" remains fuzzy at best, deliberately distorted at worst. The debate often comes down to a simple question: Does any single individual deserve to be remembered as the sole inventor of television? Can we create for television the kind of mythology of individual, creative genius that history has bestowed on Morse, Edison, Bell, or the Wright Brothers?

The question may be simple, but clearly the answer is not. Before Uncle Milty, before Walter Cronkite, before Lucy and Desi and Ethel and Fred, literally hundreds of scientists and engineers contributed to the development of the appliance that now dominates "our living room dreams." How can we single out any single individual and say, "it all started here"?

The historical record is sadly devoid of references to Farnsworth. Though the oversight has begun to improve in recent years, it is still entirely possible to open an encyclopedia and read that electronic television began when "Vladimir Zworykin invented the Iconoscope for RCA in 1923 ..."-a sentence that manages to express no less than three historical inaccuracies. The most conspicuous error-the "1923" date-conspicuously fixes Zworykin's name chronologically before Farnsworth's 1927 patent filing, and often renders Farnsworth to the status of "another contributor" in the field.

Some historians have gone so far as to suggest that Farnsworth and Zworykin should be regarded as "co-inventors." But that conclusion ignores Zworykin's 1930 visit to Farnsworth's lab, where many witnesses heard Zworykin say "I wish that I might have invented it." Moreover, it ignores the conclusion of the patent office, in its 1935 decision in Interference #64,027, which states quite clearly "priority of invention awarded to Farnsworth."

These misinterpretations of the historical record are precisely what more than sixty years of corporate public relations wants us to believe-that television was "too complex to be invented by a single individual." But close examination of the stories beneath the written record reveals a far more compelling story: In fact, there was one inventor of electronic television. Video as we now know it first took root in the mind of Philo T. Farnsworth when he was fourteen years old, and he was the first to successfully demonstrate the principle, in his lab in San Francisco on September 7, 1927. If you need to fix a date on which television was invented, that's the date.

To read the complete article: Who Invented Television? - The Farnsworth Chronicles

===============================================

Back to the matter of Lori Grenier of Shark Tank, full disclosure - not one of my favs, but it is aptly named. These inventors are business neophytes who quickly become chum in exchange for a quick cash infusion and the promise of more wealth and fame down the road. If only they'd seek sound legal advice instead of going on that show.

Here's a sad object lesson regarding what happens when you give away your rights to and future royalties from an invention:
Guy Who Invented 'Operation' Is Broke, Needs One Himself ...

John Spinello, Inventor Of 'Operation' Game, Can't Afford ...

Thank you Keri but there are so many version of this, all this knowledge or inspirations are in the ether, sadly it all depends who actualized or manifest the concept gleamed in the earth...

Than man has to deal with those who will covet Sarnoff was not a nice being...

Once upon a time there was another means of bankrolling ones project when others would invest and as you made a profit you would be able to buy back the interest until you have earn back a 100% of you property.

<h2>Early history of television[edit]</h2>
Sarnoff with the first RCA videotape recorder in 1954

When Sarnoff was put in charge of radio broadcasting at RCA, he soon recognized the potential for television, i.e., the combination of motion pictures with electronic transmission. Schemes for television had long been proposed (well before World War I) but with no practical outcome. David Sarnoff was determined to lead his company in pioneering the medium and met with Westinghouse engineer Vladimir Zworykin in 1928. At the time Zworykin was attempting to develop an all-electronic television system at Westinghouse, but with little success. Zworykin had visited the laboratory of the inventor of part of the system to enable the first working television Philo T. Farnsworth and was sufficiently impressed with the performance of the Image Dissector Farnsworth had invented that he reportedly had his team at Westinghouse make several copies of the device for experimentation.[7] Zworykin later pitched the concept to David Sarnoff, claiming a viable television system could be realized in two years with a mere $100,000 investment. Sarnoff opted to fund Zworkyin's research, most likely well-aware that Zworykin, in his enthusiasm, had underestimated the scope of his television effort by orders of magnitude in cost and several years in duration. Seven years later, in late 1935, Zworykin's photograph appeared on the cover of the trade journal Electronics, holding an early RCA photomultiplier prototype. The photomultiplier, subject of intensive research at RCA and in Leningrad, Russia, would become an essential component within sensitive television cameras. RCA, soon thereafter, demonstrated a working iconoscope camera tube and kinescope receiver display tube (an early cathode ray tube), the two key components of all-electronic television, to the press on April 24, 1936.

The final cost of the enterprise was closer to $50 million. On the road to success they also encountered a battle with the actual inventor of the first working television system, Philo T. Farnsworth, who had been granted patents in 1930 for his solution to broadcasting moving pictures. Despite Sarnoff's efforts to prove that he was the inventor of the television, he was ordered to pay Farnsworth $1,000,000 in royalties, a small price to pay to settle the dispute for an invention that would profoundly revolutionize the world.

In 1929, Sarnoff engineered the purchase of the Victor Talking Machine Company, the nation's largest manufacturer of records and phonographs, merging radio-phonograph production at Victor's large manufacturing facility in Camden, New Jersey.

Sarnoff became president of RCA on January 3, 1930, succeeding General James Harbord. On May 30 the company was involved in an antitrust case concerning the original radio patent pool. Sarnoff's tenacity and intelligence were able to negotiate an outcome where RCA was no longer partly owned by Westinghouse and General Electric, giving him final say in the company's affairs.

Initially, the Great Depression caused RCA to cut costs, but Zworykin's project was protected. After nine years of Zworykin's hard work, Sarnoff's determination, and legal battles with Farnsworth (in which Farnsworth was proved in the right), they had a commercial system ready to launch. Finally, in April 1939, regularly scheduled, electronic television in America was initiated by RCA under the name of their broadcasting division at the time, The National Broadcasting Company (NBC). The first television broadcast aired was the dedication of the RCA pavilion at the 1939 New York World's Fairgrounds and was introduced by Sarnoff himself. Later that month on April 30, opening day ceremonies at The World's Fair were telecast in the medium's first major production, featuring a speech by President Franklin D. Roosevelt, the first US President to appear on television. These telecasts were seen only in New York City and the immediate vicinity, since NBC television had only one station at the time, W2XBS Channel 1, now WNBC Channel 4. The broadcast was seen by an estimated 1,000 viewers from the roughly 200 televisions sets which existed in the New York City area at the time.

The standard approved by the National Television System Committee (the NTSC) in 1941 differed from RCA's standard, but RCA quickly became the market leader of manufactured sets and NBC became the first television network in the United States, connecting their New York City station to stations in Philadelphia and Schenectady for occasional programs in the early 1940s.

Meanwhile, a system developed by EMI based on Russian research and Zworykin's work was adopted in Britain and the BBC had a regular television service from 1936 onwards. However, World War II put a halt to a dynamic growth of the early television development stages.

Trusted Contributor

Getting back to the original post, no one here knows LG's business policies and practices except, perhaps, those working with her. The fact is no one forces anyone to take her money or go into business with her.