Honored Contributor

This was on pbs, very detailed about her life, she wrote in a note book ,thatis what we would call it today, i know her children really did not like her.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Well you seem to be quite an expert after watching only 1 program. There are 2 sides to everything.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I wouldn't know about her sex life ,and no one apart from her husband ,would either

It's been widely written about, and discussed in historical and academic circles for years in the UK. It's no secret and based on her own words in her own journals.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Well you seem to be quite an expert after watching only 1 program. There are 2 sides to everything.

I'm sure that the PBS documentary was accurate. I've studied British history for years and keep up with reading on anything new. Victoria's reputation as the shy, "close your eyes and think of England" repressed matron was just not true. It was also true that she hated being pregnant, thought all babies, including her own, were ugly and she hated being around them. Again - her own words from her own journals.

You can choose to block all that out and believe she was a sweet, sexually repressed ideal mother if you like, but a few minutes reading and googling would contradict that.

The British people don't in general think less of her as an icon of her nation for all that; as far as her children she was no different than every monarch who came before her, or most other Victorian upper class families. She wasn't a saint; Britain already knows that.

Honored Contributor

The show i watched was very telling  ,on her there were several people that spoke about what she was really like,experts and they read from her own writing she had done.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@cherry wrote:

I'm sure that the PBS documentary was accurate. I've studied British history for years and keep up with reading on anything new. Victoria's reputation as the shy, "close your eyes and think of England" repressed matron was just not true. It was also true that she hated being pregnant, thought all babies, including her own, were ugly and she hated being around them. Again - her own words from her own journals.

You can choose to block all that out and believe she was a sweet, sexually repressed ideal mother if you like, but a few minutes reading and googling would contradict that.

The British people don't in general think less of her as an icon of her nation for all that; as far as her children she was no different than every monarch who came before her, or most other Victorian upper class families. She wasn't a saint; Britain already knows that.

I didn't say she was sweet, nor sexually repressed, nor ideal. Where did you get that from?

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@cherry, I usually like your post,but why did you feel  you could say i am a expert, i was saying what i learned about her.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@cherry wrote:

@cherry, I usually like your post,but why did you feel  you could say i am a expert, i was saying what i learned about her.

Because that is how you sounded to me. It's mean to imply someone is sex mad ,when  they enjoyed a physical realtionship with their husband. 

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure Albert was responsible for Bertie's (or any of the other children) sad childhood.  From everything I've read, Albert was the very involved, hands-on parent of the 2, while Queen Victoria didn't like children or babies (and didn't try to hide that), and was pretty cold to them.  She even blamed Bertie for Albert's death.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@cherry wrote:

I didn't say she was sweet, nor sexually repressed, nor ideal. Where did you get that from?

Your responses in the thread so far would indicate that rather than the accurate portrait historians have of her, you prefer to believe the stereotype - which is that all "Victorian" women were sexually repressed. There is a reason her name was given to an entire Age which was thought to be very repressed. You also indicated if there were any issues with her children, it was Albert, not her. It's fairly well known she disliked her children and treated them badly. You have sniped at everyone who didn't stick to the stereotype of Victoria. It would be a logical inference, from what you have said here, that you believe the stereotype. You've demonstrated nothing to the contrary so far.