Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

I've been a amateur historian for yrs and girl it gets so confusing !

Everybody is a George, Mary, Victoria, Edward, Charles. sheesh !

Name your kids Helen, June, Susy, Marilyn.

@SharkE  Now THAT's funny! Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

Sure would be easier for poor little Susy (me) to remember whom descended from whom and keep track of the players when watching one of these documentaries or in this case a series from PBS.

Some people like fiction and those love romances my reading/hobby interests are Royals LOL  I never read a fiction book in my life except for Stephen King. LOL

Honored Contributor

I've learned my lesson with PBS.  All shows are recorded with 1 extra hour.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Re: Queen Victoria PBS

[ Edited ]

Her half sister was of no importance in her life.  They rarely if ever  were in contact with each other. She was brought to make some friction and drama between Victoria and Albert.  I mean,what other angle  would they use?  Albert was always faithful to Victoria. Nothing more.  Good actress, but many viewers were quickly bored by her. 

Honored Contributor

Fact or Fiction: Inside Episode 8

There’s a mixed bag of facts and fictions in the Victoria Season 3 finale…Find out what’s real history versus what’s just really dramatic, courtesy of series writer and creator Daisy Goodwin, who especially likes one plot point she invented—and we bet you did, too!

1. 1. Fact or Fiction: Feodora's daughter Adelheid came to court.

Fact: “She did come to Britain, and there was talk of her marrying the emperor. I’ve slightly conflated a lot of that, but yes, it was in the air.”

Indeed, Napoleon III did make a proposal of marriage to the parents of 16-year-old Princess Adelheid. The newly-minted emperor had been rejected by Princess Carolina of Sweden, and a union with Adelheid would have been especially advantageous for the ruler in promoting an alliance between France and Britain. However, such a union was not to be; not wanting to align with an unstable, revolutionary regime, Victoria and Albert did not endorse it, and Adelheid’s parents declined the offer. The emperor went on to make a love match with the woman he’d unsuccessfully tried to make his mistress, Eugénie de Montijo, and Victoria’s niece married Frederick VIII, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein.

2. 2. Fact or Fiction: Bertie had a crush on Heidi.

Fiction: No, I’m afraid I made that up. But I like that!

3. 3. Fact or Fiction: Albert agonized about the Exhibition.

Fact: Yes, he was genuinely very perturbed. He was a man of incredible vision, and he had the vision to do it, but he was also terrified that it would be a disaster and that the monarchy would be tainted as a result. So it was a very difficult circumstance.

4. 4. Fact or Fiction: Ticket sales were suppressed because of worries about anarchists and working-class people at the Exhibition.

Fact: Yes, they worried about anarchists, and whether there would be too many foreigners in Hyde Park, and that people would pee everywhere. So that’s why they had to invent the public lavatory—which is where the expression “spend a penny” comes from—that’s all true.

And it was a stupendous success. A lot of people came to London who’d never been to London before…Most people were living in villages or towns—they didn’t even really have shops—and then suddenly, to see all these incredible things, it must have been just gobsmaking. It would be like coming across the Internet, it was so extraordinary. Queen Victoria’s favorite exhibit was the taxidermied kitten wedding!

5. 5. Fact or Fiction: Albert collapsed after Exhibition.

Fiction: I think he was exhausted, so it’s a metaphor, that collapse, for the toll that had been taken on his health. And I wanted it to be a moment—both a triumph, and the seeds of tragedy that are already there.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE Thank you for posting all the information with photos. I love to read recaps and explanations like that.

Honored Contributor

That Albert was one intense guy, I knew he was going to collapse at some point in the story.

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@SharkE Thank you for posting all the information with photos. I love to read recaps and explanations like that.

just wanted to make a point about how these people spice up  stuff for TV and she thinks it's funny.

@World Traveler 

Valued Contributor

The young actress who plays Victoria is just lovely. In real life Victoria was not a beauty and every statue of her shows her to be as wide as she is short.

I think Albert lived for 10 yrs after the time of the Exhibition so that final scene is not a death scene. I read that when he did become very ill and died that Victoria blamed Bertie ( eldest son ) because Albert worried so about him. I guess Bertie was a womanizer.

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

Her half sister was of no importance in her life.  They rarely if ever  were in contact with each other. She was brought to make some friction and drama between Victoria and Albert.  I mean,what other angle  would they use?  Albert was always faithful to Victoria. Nothing more.  Good actress, but many viewers were quickly bored by her. 

That's not true.  Despite the age difference, they were raised together in Kensington Palace and remained close throughout their lives.  After Feodora married and moved to Germany, they continued to correspond and Feodora visited Victoria in England, whenever she was able.

After both Feodora and Victoria were widowed a year apart, Victoria asked her to come live with her, but Feodora declined.  According to her own diaries she felt she couldn't bear Victoria's overwhelming grief at the loss of Albert.

The acrimony between them in the PBS series was fictional.  That's the one thing I didn't particularly like about this series.  Why so completely misrepresent the relationship?