Honored Contributor

FWIW.....

Feodora & Victoria have the SAME mother but different fathers.  Therefore, they are "half" sisters NOT "step"sisters.

The 2 ladies who MC'ed the finale last night stated that the Victoria series is based on Queen Victoria's diaries

I gather to fill in the "boring" parts of the diaries, the shows writers took great liberties by adding juicy sub plots to spice up the series. 

FACT:  Feodora & Victoria got along quite well and corresponded w/each other every day until death.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I don't think you can say Victoria and Feodora communicated with each other every day, given the distance between them.

From what I've read they remained close (despite the political differences I mentioned) and stayed in contact.  But not every day; no phones, no texting.  Much slower methods of communication back then.

The portrayal of Feodora's circumstances were accurate; run-down, drafty castle.  Always in financial straits.   Also, her daughter Adelaide did indeed have the opportunity to marry the Emperor of France (Napoleon III) but declined.

Feodora and Victoria became widows within a year of each other.  (Feodora was widowed first.  Albert died on December 14, 1861.)

I just enjoy the series for what it is.  Part history, part drama.  History buffs can always research to find out all the facts.

Honored Contributor

@Venezia 

Wrote letters to QV everyday=communated.  I think we all know, QV was not getting a letter a day from Fedora.  More than likely, the Queen was getting these letters in bulk.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Re: Queen Victoria PBS

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac  - I see what you meant!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

She's not of any historical importance. Who cares about half sister Feo.

I haven't seen any books solely on her. I'm sure somebody will find one on her, though.

I'm surprised at PBS . Thought they were more for education not

just titillation. They should do a disclaimer saying "this series is not entirely factual certain poetic license has been used".

Albert, Harold A. (1967). Queen Victoria's sister: the life and letters of Princess Feodora.

Trusted Contributor

I love this series,however I didn't care for the step sister,now my complaint is tonight on the finale I missed the last scenes where the queen and her husband were about to send stepsister packing,I have waited for this all this season.Our p.b.s  decided to have the fundraiser tonight and took the first ten minutes ,so I tape the show each week ,well the ending was not shown so I missed the end of the finale,I am upset at p.b.s for doing this .can anyone tell me what happen at the end,when they confronted stepsister after that,thanks.Tucka..

Honored Contributor

I'm sorry I said "step sister" I should had said 'half sister'.

Yeah, PBS did a begging for money thing at the front of the show that it didn't start till 8:10 it was suppose to had run till 9:30, but, where I live it only ran till 9:20.

Feo p o'd Albert and he felt double crossed by her and ran to Queen Vict and said "she's got to go" and U would had thought QV would had called her servants to get her bags packed. Nope.

Feo, gets mad and says she'll be gone in the morning that Heidi, her daughter is going to marry some German prince and she's going with her.

Which was her intention all along to get her daughter packed off with a good match, so, Feo can now leach off of her daughter's limelight instead of her sisters.

Victoria, runs after her saying she don't want her to go ! What ? Let the ugly woman go.   Then, her and Albert start talking about old times and happier times. He's acting off he's unsteady doesn't feel normal. Victoria, says "this is the place where I proposed to you do you remember"? He says something like "do you regret it"? then, he drops to the floor.

Victoria, starts screaming "Albert, Albert " !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

The End.

PBS will rerun the episode, so, you will probably be able to catch it maybe this Sun check your TV grid if you have cable. If not just tune in around 8 and see what they're showing they always repeat episodes.

Honored Contributor

There's tons of good books on Victoria. I just read one by Deborah Cadbury about how the Queen matched all her kids and grandkids with fellow Royals through out Europe. Some should had paid more attention to her advice and made bad choices and paid for it with their lives.

One I'm reading now is by Christopher HIbbert 'Queen Victoria: A Personal History'. He mentioned Feodora being 12 yrs older then Vict. Their mother was German and when she married and moved to England she couldn't speak English and was pregnant with Vict. Victoria's father died when she was 8 months old. The mother has already got Feo and a son by her first marriage.   Because Victoria is now the heir her mother was kept in  England and given a allowance, a nice place, servants and such.

Her mother by the way is a sister to Uncle Leopold. He gave her mother money and took care of them too. He eventually left and became King of the Belgiums.  Now, I'm trying to figure out if Victoria's mother since she is a sister to Uncle Leopold is Prince Albert a son of Leopold ? Seems like I've read that Victoria's mother and Albert's father was bro & sister, therefore, they're cousins to begin with. I'll figure it out. So many people with the same names ! They all name their kids the same ol' names !

Honored Contributor

@SharkE  Thank you for that very interesting information. Sometimes it is hard to keep all these people straight in my mind, particularly when they sometimes inter-marry.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been a amateur historian for yrs and girl it gets so confusing !

Everybody is a George, Mary, Victoria, Edward, Charles. sheesh !

Name your kids Helen, June, Susy, Marilyn. When Prince George was born I told the world I'll bet you his name will be George after Queen E's Father and grandfather and it was. Prince Louis threw me I had to think back in my memory banks 'Louis'? 'Louis' ? Then, it was announced named after Prince Charles favorite Louis of Mountbatten Uncle. Didn't see that one coming.

After you study the Royals whether English, French or Russian you get a feel of how that world revolves. One thing you don't want to do especially  now days is you don't want to go high hat and act like your better then the people you depend on that will bring down the monarchy faster then anything. 

I got respect for Queen E II she started paying taxes yrs. ago, got rid of the big yacht/ship whatever you call it. If you pay attention Kate wears her clothes more then once they come across as basic down to earth people.

When you see the Queen she wears pearls and maybe one heirloom diamond brooch when she does her meet and greet of the common folk when she does those walk abouts. You don't want to flaunt nothing.

Kate drove herself around in the range rover, shopped at the local store all while pregnant, William drove her home from the hospital himself. They got to appear common as much as possible. They know how to keep things running smooth.

In days of old the others made their mistake by always being seen with fabulous hand made gowns of spun gold, diamonds big as eggs, etc.

They had it and thought that was their God given right to appear the way they wanted when they stepped out. Remember the Romanov's ! Marie Antoinette, also,  Russians were starving and selling their kids , etc. They got tired of never having nothing and everything belonged to the Tsars.

All kinds of assassinations constantly going on. Moral of story you have to keep the people happy.