Honored Contributor

Not a spoiler! I'm binging this on Netflix In an early episode the med students were told that later they would find out why a room was called "Bahgdad." I'm in Seaon 2, episode 8 and still haven't seen that.

Can someone enlgihten me? Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: QUESTION ABOUT CHICAGO MED

[ Edited ]

@Love my grandkids wrote:

Not a spoiler! I'm binging this on Netflix In an early episode the med students were told that later they would find out why a room was called "Bahgdad." I'm in Seaon 2, episode 8 and still haven't seen that.

Can someone enlgihten me? Thanks!

@Love my grandkids   Hi. This is one of my favorite shows. I assumed the Bahgdad room was the one for the worst case coming in...most critically injured...like a war zone. BTW, new season begins tonite.

Trusted Contributor

Here's a handy article with lots of answers to questions about Chicago Med that might occur to you as you catch up to the program. 

https://answerstoall.com/popular/what-is-baghdad-in-chicago-med/

Basically, the room is called Baghdad to signify it is the particular treatment bay in the ER where the most serious cases are put. The reference to Baghdad implies a war zone.  It never affects the plot lines, so don't get too distracted by small details like ER lingo.

Hope I've helped.

Honored Contributor

@gizmogal @Shanus Thanks ladies! As to hospital lingo, I've watched ER since Day 1 and record and watch the reruns and have for years!

I've learned lots about the lingo and have looked a lot of it up on the internet.

Appreciate the help! and thanks for the link as well.

Honored Contributor

@gizmogal wrote:

Here's a handy article with lots of answers to questions about Chicago Med that might occur to you as you catch up to the program. 

https://answerstoall.com/popular/what-is-baghdad-in-chicago-med/

Basically, the room is called Baghdad to signify it is the particular treatment bay in the ER where the most serious cases are put. The reference to Baghdad implies a war zone.  It never affects the plot lines, so don't get too distracted by small details like ER lingo.

Hope I've helped.

@gizmogal 

Not to change the subject, but do you use the "answers to all" site very often?  Never heard of it before seeing your link.

Honored Contributor

@gizmogal @Shanus Thanks ladies! As to hospital lingo, I've watched ER since Day 1 and record and watch the reruns and have for years!

I've learned lots about the lingo and have looked a lot of it up on the internet.

@Love my grandkids 

Sometimes the term is ER and sometimes the reference is the "ED".    Anyone know why?  I would assume this reflects real life terminology changes?  

Regular Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Love my grandkids 

Sometimes the term is ER and sometimes the reference is the "ED".    Anyone know why?  I would assume this reflects real life terminology changes?  

For years the "Emergency Room" (ER) was the name used in Hospitals.  Over time this evolved to "Emergency Department" or ED.  You also see "Trauma Center".  Having worked in Healthcare for 40 years, there have been many changes in naming conventions for various areas.  "Registration" is now "Patient Access", "X-Ray" is now "Diagnostic Imaging" and there are other modalities in Radiology = MRI, Nuclear Medicine, CT, Ultrasound, etc.. 

Evolution of the business I guess, and as medicine gets better so do the specialties and the need for more specific names to describe the service.

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids  Chicago Med is one of the shows that has had an active discussion every season. As you watch do a search and find those older threads. Some of the questions you have/will be having may possibly have been discussed when the shows originally aired.

~~~"Patience is the power to do nothing when doing something won't do anything but make everything worse"~~~
Trusted Contributor

Butting in, excuse me, but just wanted to add that the hospital where I work uses the term 'EC' for Emergency Center. I suspect the reason is proprietary, to stand apart from the competition.

Don't quote me on it, though!

dee