Trusted Contributor

I remember the summer it was showing in theaters, and my memory regarding it stands out pretty clearly.

I would have been 13 that summer, and as was tradition, I was spending a week with my grandmother.  Usually during my visit, one day my grandmother and I would go to a movie.  I think that summer we went to see Pollyanna, which I thought was cute.

When my parents came to pick me up at the end of the week, my mom told me that she and my father had gone to see Psycho, and that it was so good, and very scary.  My mom said she wouldn't be able to take a shower for some time to come without being nervous.

I was kind of jealous that I had missed seeing Psycho with them, because, truth be told, I would have much preferred that over Pollyanna.  I suppose my grandmother felt she had to take me to see something wholesome.

I don't remember exactly when I did see Psycho, probably not until it was shown on TV.  

My parents were big movie goers, so I remember seeing so many fifties movies when they first came out, even though I may have been a little too young for some of them.  I loved movies, too, from a very young child, and was quiet and attentive, so my parents always took me along.

Honored Contributor

Re: Psycho Turns 60

[ Edited ]

I just read some trivia about Psycho. One was that Janet Leigh never took showers after making the film. One was that they used chocolate syrup for blood. One was that Mrs Bates had 4 different voiceovers, one was a man, one was  Jeanette Nolan, and 2 others , sometimes all blended together. 

Trusted Contributor

I LOVE this movie! (I also loved Bates Motel when it was on, but not the same way.) Anyway, the part that can still scare me when I think of it is the smile at the end. Yikes!

Honored Contributor
@Lisa now in AZ. I wouldn't hurt a fly.

Poor Tony Perkins who played his role so well that he was forever typecast as a psycho. No more Friendly Persuasion "gentle" roles for him

Lisa have you ever seen the fairly recent film with Anthony Hopkins playing Hitchcock and Helen Mirren playing his wife Alma? I really liked it. It was all about the making of Psycho and what Hitch has to do to get it made. If you've never seen it you should. Any fan of Psycho should see it - it was fun.
Honored Contributor

After all these years, I can't take a shower without thinking about...

Research and Redos- Psycho Shower Scene-Scene 2 | dabbling.in.ideation

And that's why I don't take baths anymore.

Thank you, Hitch, wherever you are. Heart

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I am a horror and Sy Fy fan.  Since the fifties I have always watched anything associated with this genre on TV and in the movies.  My sister and I still watch these type movies and always enjoy watching the old ones over and over.

With that being said I love Hitchcock movies.  Psycho is a great film filled with thrills and chills  However, it didn't frighten me and neither did the Exorcist.  I loved each movie but once I saw them, no affect.  The Ghost stories are what frighten me, the best being the Haunting with Julie Harris and cast.  

While I do love Psycho and so many other great thrillers, horrors and Sy Fy's, I am not a fan of blood and gore and avoid those type movies which have become popular. 

Happy Birthday to Psycho which after all these years still frightens and thrills, that is a sign of a movie that won an audience and continues to do so!!!!