Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the post I'll have to check my t.v schedule.  I was wondering when it was starting up again.

Respected Contributor

I'm so glad that there is a PR thread!  I love this show and this season looks like it will be really good.  I love Ashley (the plus sized woman).  She has a very realistic view of what real women are.   I will never forget that one jerk from a few seasons back (don't remember his name) when they had the design for real women challenge and his model was plus sized and he made some nasty comment about not designing for big women.  She had so much grace about it.  I probably would have told him to shove it.  As a 8 or 10, I would be considered plus size in the fashion industry, but most average women are not a 0 or 2!

That black dress with a train got way more praise than it should have.  It was a basic dress.  In black.

I loved Michael and Nina's snark fests. Zac occasionally drops one, but not as many as Michael.  Next week is the unconventional challenge--I hope Ashley wins that too.

Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

I believe that who goes and who stays depends a lot on which makes better TV. I would have rather seen the one with that multi color poorly made dress go than the NZ guy. 

Sometimes I wonder if they choose wanting certain personalities to stay @occasionalrain too.  I think the NZ guy was interesting though and wish he had stayed.

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Respected Contributor

New show tonight!😊

Great thread @wilma!

Respected Contributor

Here's the Lifetime  link to the page with all the designers:

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project-runway/designers

Honored Contributor

@newziesuzie wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

I believe that who goes and who stays depends a lot on which makes better TV. I would have rather seen the one with that multi color poorly made dress go than the NZ guy. 

Sometimes I wonder if they choose wanting certain personalities to stay @occasionalrain too.  I think the NZ guy was interesting though and wish he had stayed.

I will try to remember to look at the closing credits tonight, but on Top Chef, there is a disclaimer at the end that says the producers decide in conjunction with the judges.

Basically the producers have a lot of say in these weekly cast off decisions on all shows because they need the drama to sustain the interest week to week.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Va I think that's true of ALL REALITY shows.  It is for entertainment and I guess unless there's a lot of drama people won't watch it.

I guess people who really enjoy seeing the designs and how they come up with the designs, like me, maybe some of you, don't have much input on what it is we like.

Valued Contributor

Not sure if people are posting on the Community Chat thread or if i am the first to weigh in with my thoughts on the second episode...anyway, i thought the judges got it right in terms of the winner & technically right on the loser. I loved the challenge to create from cards because it really gave the designers a lot to work with as they proved. Swapnil was my favorite tonight because i loooved the skirt, it was so pretty & bright & colorful and the top was perfect with it. Loved the polka dots & how he took the time to mitre the corners on the back. Nonetheless, Edmond was very deserving of the win. He was the most creative & his dress was spectacular.  Really happy to see him step it up & get that win.

As much as i liked Ashley 's creation last week, that's how much i disliked this week's. If she didnt have immunity, i have no doubt she would be gone. That being said, poor David didn't really live up to the spirit of the challenge so of the bottom two he was the right choice. What i really want to know is how did Merline make it into the safe group? That dress with the long grey things in the front & back was poorly designed & the colors were awful. Are they only allowed six designers on the stage & since they had four favorites, they could only have two losers? Weird

So there are my thoughts, will go to the Community Chat page when i feel like dealing some more withis horrible bulletin board.  It is p-a-i-n-f-u-l-l-y slow on my smartphone. Hope some of you will continue to post here. Wilma, will you keep this thread going? Thanks for starting it, i know there are more people over in CC, but it belongs here :-)

Honored Contributor

Re: Project Runway

[ Edited ]

I don't know why but for some reason I didn't feel as invested in this week's show. I usually love the unconventional challenges to most, but this week's show didn't make for compelling television. That said, it was still interesting to watch.

Swapnil -- I loved his outfit and it thought it was very creative in an Alice in Wonderland on acid (his words), over the top Bollywood sort of way. His use of the 3D garden flowers was great and I really appreciated the interplay of textures in a sort of Cynthia Rowley way. The mitered chevron pieces in the back were very creative and well executed. Very well tailored. A lot of fun. And i want to see more.

Ashley -- Her yellow mumu poncho was awful. And she realized that if she hadn't had immunity that she would have gone home. I think she'll be back on her game next week. What really perplexed me was that she chose not to junk her outfit after Tim basically told her that it was a mess. It looked like a bad Christmas present. 

Joseph -- I'm not a fan. The look on his face made me think that he thought he was above a challenge like this, The huge skirt bottom part going into a form fitted white shirt top made it look like a condom. Uggg!!!!

David -- in bottom two -- ELIMINATED -- I loved his long, grey hooded sweatshirt/jacket. I thought it was very creative of him to use the 3D words on half of it. I liked how the words were only used on the left hand side of each side of the coat. That detail was what made it creative. -- I think he must have had a meltdown since he just painted the muslin instead of glue gunning the paper cards to the muslin. I think he has a great sense of style. I'm disappointed that he's gone. 

Jake -- I wasn't impressed with his black glitter dress made out of small triangles. The dress had no shape and wasn't flattering. The spaghetti straps which were needed to hold up the dress were a distraction (and why were they white instead of black?). You could buy something like that in the clearance rack of an average boutique. 

Candace -- Using the sliver sections from the insides of the envelops was really smart and showed her point of view as an artist. Nicely constructed. Well done. And as one of the other contestant mentioned it did look like metal. 

Hanmiao -- Her abstract paper construction was creative but left me cold. I didn't feel like there was a heart/soul to it. I still think she's going home soon. Her stuff just doesn't make me want to see more from her. 

Gabrielle -- While I respect all the work she put into her dress made of red slivers (which included a long pink flower in the middle), it was a miss for me. The dress was like an uneven sack of potatoes. But I would like to see more from her.

Laurie -- Her metallic gold dress had some structural interest by it didn't feel like it had a cohesive design. It was three sections pasted together. And it felt kind of junior. 

Blake -- Why wasn't he penalized like David was? The judges were inconsistent here. He said that while the middle of the dress was pink diamond cut pieces of cards, with sparkle written on them, that both the top and bottom of the dress were painted muslin. I don't think the judges realized this initially. During their inspection of the dress, Jack Posen was surprised to find that parts of the dress were in fact painted muslin (during the initial critique Nina, as a compliment, said that "it looks like fabric"... cause it was!!). -- The dress was had some interest but you could find it at a boutique. The pink to purple ombre and glitter effect was nice but nothing special although the fit was good.  

Lindsey -- Her long grey/beige dress was a harmless. There was a bit of creativity but it was sort of boring and a bit mess. It looked like a dress that Marianne the Librarian ("The Music Man") would wear.

Kelly -- I loved the her crop top with a hoodie which was made out of different colored metallic triangles. It had an art deco, NYC Chrysler Building feel to it. It was really well executed. The shag, shredded gold envelop skirt was fun, but I agreed with Heidi and Nina that the top and bottom didn't go that well together. 

Amanda -- in bottom two: safe -- What a mess!! I think she should have gone home. While I really liked the black dyed lace top with the multicolored card bits underneath, the curled skirt section of the dress looked like a fru-fru mop/pinata. As Nina mentioned it looked like she went to a party supply store to get the materials for it. -- Instead of admitting that her outfit was a mess, she was complaining that there were other outfits which were worse than hers (really, where were they????). It's never a good sign when a designer isn't able to accept constructive criticism from the judges. 

Merline -- A total mess and probably about as bad as Amanda's. It looked like poorly constructed metal squares on this dress. And there were a few confusing blue squares on the top as well as a partial blue border on the bottom. Even more confusing was the single metal rectangular piece in the front which was between her legs (about 6 inches down). There are so many easy comments that you could make about that... so I just won't even go there. What was she thinking???

Edmond -- WINNER -- I get the feeling that he was the hands down winner for this challenge. -- He's one of the contestants that I'm rooting for. He seems like a  nice guy and he's been auditioning for Project Runway for every season since the start of the show. I hope he goes far. -- HIs wedding dress was Parisian haute couture creative... and he finished it in a day!!! There was a lot of handwork involved. The varying shades of white gave his dress much more depth. It was genius for him to make the top of the dress out of white bits of cards which had the Hallmark logo on it which brand it a Hallmark wedding dress. I wouldn't be surprised if Hallmark used this wedding dress in wedding card ads (if they're smart they will). The white paper skirt made of 3D constructed curls was out of the box creative and gave it the feel of a very full wedding dress. I loved the little rose petals that he added to the skirt. They reminded me of the pearls or crystals that are frequently added to wedding dresses. The judges didn't comment on it but I loved the little circle pendant he added because it really finished off the whole look (and I was wondering if he also made that pendant). The red rose bouquet with green leaves/stems made from cards was the coup de gras. -- I think that Zack Posen said that Hallmark is known for special moments and that a wedding dress was perhaps the most special moment. -- Amazing!!!

___ 

In summary, I was happy to see that Edmond was the hands down winner. YAY!!! Smiley Happy

I don't understand why David was send home when Blake had also mainly used muslin for his dress. In past seasons this rule for the unconventional challenge has frequently not been enforced which makes it a very vague/unclear rule. I find this annoying and frustrating and soooo unnecessary. 

Amanda should have gone home. Merline should have also been in the bottom. -- I think that the two of them and Hanmiao will be going home soon.

Right now the contestants I really want to see more from are Swapnil, Candace, and Edmond. And maybe Kelly, Ashley and Lindsay. 

If Ashley hadn't had immunity she could have been eliminated (although I think Amanda's and Merline's dresses were worse). I've noticed that the Nina and Heidi get irked when a contestant skates through because of immunity. So Ashley really needs to be on her game for the next couple of challenges.

@VaBelle35 , I looked through the credits and there wasn't anything written about judges making elimination decisions in conjunction with the producers. In earlier seasons  I think I remember reading that while the producers may share their thought with the judges that the judges make their own decisions on who is eliminated. -- Also, from what I remember, after each fashion show the judges score each of the contestants. I think this is probably done during the runway shows. So if there are any chats with producers, these would probably take place after the top three and bottom three contestants have been quizzed by the judges. -- With their fashion label (Michael Kors, Isaac Mizrahi, Zach Posen) or a fashion magazine (Nina Garcia, Joanne...) on the line, I can't imagine that any of them would be willing to compromise their creditability in this manner because it could negatively impact their brands. 

@newziesuzie thanks again for providing a list of all the competitors (message #23) because that makes it easier to remember who is who. Smiley Happy

-- bebe Smiley Happy -- Project Runway  (Books, TV, and Movies forum) -- 😀PROJECT RUNWAY Season 14 Thurs 8/6/15 TONIGHT!😊 (Community Chat forum) 

Esteemed Contributor
I taped the episode with the cards so I'll watch it tonight. I thought they all did pretty good except the guy that used that colorful print; he had way too much going on and should have pulled back some but I guess the designers are under such pressure for time they aren't always thinking clearly and the other guy with the draping dress not so good I forgot the other designer that was on a previous episode that did draping so well it was like second nature to him. Can't wait to watch how they work with cards that will be interesting I am sure.