Valued Contributor

Re: Project Runway

[ Edited ]

I'm still watching too. It's fun to see what the designers come up with so I'll be tuning in tomorrow night :-) And I agree that Tim Gunn is the heart of the show

Bebe777, if you enjoy creative endeavors & if you dont already, you should watch Syfy's "Face Off" where the contestants have to create all kinds of creatures & makeups. It is fun to watch them come up with a concept & then bring it to life. It is on Tuesday nights & they just started a new season (last night was the second episode)

Honored Contributor

@bebe777 wrote:

Thanks for the reminder that the new season of Project Runway starts this thursday. Project Runway is one of my guilty pleasures. -- I love artworks: any kind of artwork... museum paintings, performance art, street sculpting with wire, artisanal shoes and bags, etc. If it's got creative expression, then I'm in. 

What I love most about Project Runway is Tim Gunn. I think he's the heart of this show. I've been fortunate enough to meet him twice (just briefly) and he's even kinder and more charming in person. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

How exciting that you have met Tim Gunn!

Trusted Contributor

Tim Gunn made an appearance at a very large mall. He was hosting a fashion show. After the show was over he took questions from the audience (which was probably several hundred people - I watched from the second floor).

What a professional and what a gentleman! He took the time to answer the questions with useful details and didn't rush anyone. Of course many questions were related to becoming a designer or getting on Project Runway. He was encouraging to everyone that he responded to.

I wasn't that much of a fan until that day. Now - I think he's truly awesome.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wilma wrote:

Anyone still watching Project Runway?  The new season starts next Thursday, August 6.  I keep watching because I enjoy seeing what the designers come up for the different challenges. 

I'm so excited because the new season of Project Runway starts tonight!! 

My DVR was alreadly programmed to record each new thursday night Project Runway show (9pm ET). 

If your DVR is already programmed, then make sure you add the 8pm ET Road to the Runway "pre-show" which they have every year. I almost forgot to add that show to my DVR recording list. 

Enjoy!!!

-- bebe Smiley Happy

P.S. mewsmomtoo, I've added the SciFi Face Off show to my DVR recordings. Thank you for the suggestion. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Thanks Wilma, setting up the DVR so I don't forget.  When I worked (over 40 years ago), I made most of my clothes.  To this day I look at something and can see exactly how it is made.

One reason why I like Linea (I buy lots of his clothes even though I'm almost 70 and mostly just eat out, Dr's, things like that) I can tell he makes his clothes (designs) for the female figure and enjoys doing it.

Bob Mackie is another designer who likes to design clothes.  With Mr Mackie his approach is different.  He's more interested in colors and putting them together to enhance a woman's curves.

I miss sewing (I own several machines and have a sewing room, you name it, I have it.  No one sews much anymore.  I always hope my grandchildren will develop an interest, but they're still young (oldest is 13) and (along with most young people) have an interest in electronics.  They have the mental ability to go very far in that realm, so maybe they'd take it up as a form of relaxation.  Ha!

Do any of you who watch the sew make your own clothes or design them?  My oldest daughter (the oldest grandchildren's Mother) wanted to study at FIT (where George from QVC teaches).  When it came time to go to college, she'd decided to get a degree in International Foreign Affairs.  You can't get much farther from design than that!  Ha!

I'm so glad others here love the show too.  I also agree about Tim.  I love the way he connects with the competitors, helping, guiding (yet in a kind thoughtful way).

Valued Contributor

I agree with all of you who feel that Tim Gunn is the big draw on PR.  He is the very definition of a mentor.  

Honored Contributor

I still miss Michael Kors.  Zac Posen is no Michael Kors.

He was the reason I started watching, Tim is the reach I keep watching.

Nobody can snark like Michael Kors.  He is to Project Runway what Wolfgang Puck is to Top Chef.  Wolfgang throwing the biscuit across the room is a classic scene.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I still miss Michael Kors.  Zac Posen is no Michael Kors.

He was the reason I started watching, Tim is the reach I keep watching.

Nobody can snark like Michael Kors.  He is to Project Runway what Wolfgang Puck is to Top Chef.  Wolfgang throwing the biscuit across the room is a classic scene.

VaBelle, lol, we've got to stop meeting like this. Smiley Happy

I agree with you about Michael Kors. I've met him too, years ago when he was just starting out, and he was a a lovely man... very soft spoken, if you can believe that.

In a much kinder way, Kors took on the Simon Cowell "truth telling" role on the show (the reality of the fashion world). Nina's hard core, but she always seems somewhat biased by her overall impression of a contestant. There's stuff she loves and stuff she doesn't. God help you if you're in that second category because sometimes she can't seem to get out of her own way. In contrast, Kors seemed to have a more staight on approach. He didn't dwell on a contestant's past faux pas.

When a contestant loses touch with reality, I enjoy the way Michael took them right down to size. I have a little giggle fest. And his approach was very effective, probably because he's really a very nice guy.

I miss Michael's perspective and personality on the show. Zack's ok, but I don't really feel his presence and I think the runway part of the show really needs another anchor. In the All Stars version, Isaac plays a much more noticable role on the runway side. Michael was my favorite, but I like Isaac too.

I really liked this year's Road to the Runway preshow. In previous years, after the preshow was over, I've had a hard time remembering what each of the contestants style perspective was. This time, because they focused on that and did away with the competition, I was able to remember a lot about each contestant. I was very impressed with their portfolios. Of course, as they said to (I think) the Louis Vuiton guy, the finished product is very nice... but can you cut a jacket in 8 hours?

When I see some of these contestants in action, lol, I often think... have you ever watched this show? Do you realize that you've got to make an entire suit in 12-16 hours? Do you realize that the finished product has to look good on the runway (no unfinished/uneven hems)? 

If I knew that I was going to be a contestant, I would spend a month just practicing finishing a crazy kind of fashion challenge in one day... just so that I wouldn't get cut on the first challenge. 

I felt so sad for the cute NZ bloke who was eliminated on the first challenge. He does killer men's wear, but I was worried for him because he had never designed women's wear before. He had just graduated from fashion school in Milan. I don't understand why he just didn't take a year and work on women's wear. Project Runway doesn't look like it's going anywhere any time soon. Tim's not usually wrong, but I was worried when Tim gave his greek charmeuse toga a provisional seal of approval. It was interesting but I was worried that the garment had no shape. 

I really expected the Chinese woman to get cut. I still think that's coming. -- I also think the woman from Boston who designs funky clothes may be weak: she's either Madonna / Cindi Lauper funky or a complete miss. I also wonder if Mr. Vuitton can design a jacket in 8 hours. There are a few others I have doubts about but I can't remember who they are right now. 

Someone needs to take chatty cathy aside and tell her the rules of the road. She gave me a headache too. It was annoying and took away from my enjoyment of watching the show. I can't imagine how difficult it must have been to focus on pulling together an outfit if you were working right next to her. 

I love playing sports, watching sports, and I'm really big on sportsmanship. I didn't like what Anya pulled (season 10, I think): not sharing fabric after her best friend on the show had saved her bacon by sharing fabric with her on an earlier episode. Or, in the first season, when one of the female finalists tried to sneak in top quality shows without including them in her budget. Or, last year on a Project Runway mentoring spin off, when Anya and the short Mexican American guy, tried to trash one of the contestants that the LA fashion school guy was mentoring. 

So it was really interesting to see what went down when three of the contestants had not brought their sewing kits with them. The knives came out real fast, and you got to see who was compassionate and who wasn't. I understand that this is a competition, but the competition is supposed to focus on the dress designing. And when you choose not to share, well if you happen to need someone's help later... well, who knows. That's karma.

For a first show, I thought the runway looks were very good. 

I'm really looking forward to next week's show.

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@mewsmomtoo wrote:

Bebe777, if you enjoy creative endeavors & if you dont already, you should watch Syfy's "Face Off" where the contestants have to create all kinds of creatures & makeups. It is fun to watch them come up with a concept & then bring it to life. It is on Tuesday nights & they just started a new season (last night was the second episode)

---------------------------------

One of the best shows on the air...the creativity always amazes me! I love that the show is all about the actual events regarding the design. The viewers do not see anything going on at their "residence", unlike many other shows where all the after hours drama is shown.

Honored Contributor

Any other comments on the First Episode last night?  I thought the top 2 were both very good designs.  I liked the modern suit and the skirt/top combo.  I did not like the 3rd top design.  All it was was a tube dress with a train.  I agreed with who the judges put in the bottom.  I thought all 3 were equally bad in their own way.  I didn't have a problem with them sending home the guy who draped a toga.  The yellow shapeless dress and vest was bad too.