Honored Contributor

Project Runway Season 18 Jan 23 (Episode 7) - Spoilers Included

[ Edited ]

Recap of the Fashions: https://www.bravotv.com/project-runway/season-18/blogs/project-runway-season-18-episode-7-recap

Pre-runway comments:  I’m really liking Brittany’s 3-D butterflies.  That is a really neat idea, although not new for her.  Hopefully the whole outfit will be as inspired.

I’m really disappointed in Victoria’s use of that print.  It’s really my favorite of all the available prints and she is under-utilizing it. 

Time for the Runway:

Kinda surprised Karli isn’t wearing a print.

I didn’t like Brittany’s as much as I was hoping, especially those strange straps across the body and arms.

I’m kinda liking Geoffrey Mac’s look.  Not something I would ever wear, but that’s not the challenge. 

Didn’t care for Marquis’ look at all.

Nancy’s look to me was better without the coat.  With the coat on it was just too much print and kinda overwhelming.  I think the fabric is too stiff for the oversized jacket.  They need to flow.  As much as everybody complains about Victoria doing the same thing every week, Nancy seems to do an over-sized jacket every week. I’d hate to see her go home because I was rooting for the old lady.

I’m wondering if Victoria had just swapped the print to the top and white pants if it would’ve been more successful.

Dayoung’s is really cute.  Too bad she wasn’t feeling well and had to have help.  I’m glad she gave Victoria credit for helping her.

Sergio’s came out really nice as much as I dislike him.  I’m surprised he was only safe.  I would’ve chosen him over Delvin’s look for one of the top 3.

I did not like Delvin’s at all although the judges did.  It did look a lot better than it did before his session with Christian.  Maybe if he had left off the belt.  It just looked dated to me.

I, personally would choose Dayoung’s for the win, but I expect Brittany to win. 

I think I would choose Marquis to go home, but Victoria is a close second.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Project Runway Season 18 Jan 23 (Episode 7) - Spoilers Included

I was hoping Victoria would go home. She is a one trick pony with a bad attitude. I don't care for her or Sergio. 

I think Dayoung is ill and will be lucky to get through another design. She really needs to get medical attention and get a resolution about her health issues.

I really like Christian as the mentor. He is funny and sarcastic. He is a great addition.

Honored Contributor

This is the first time I watched PR this season.  I kept forgetting.  The guys that are having dart and zipper problems will not last long if it continues.  That looks horrible when a zipper is puckered on the garment.    

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

If it were me choosing a winner, I would have picked Dayoung.  I thought hers was the most tailored, wearable, and she made good use of her print. 

As far as Brittany goes, it was OK, but I don't find it to be a wearable garment.  It was too mixed up in symmetry and thought for my taste.  The pleating on one side and all the straps.  Where on earth would anyone ever wear that?  Artful - yes, wearable - no.

I was kinda liking Geoffrey's until he decided to add that awful satiny green trim to it.  I thought it cheapened the entire look.  He could have reduced the volume somehow in the front w/o that extra shiny fabric.

I'd never heard of this artist.  I don't think Karlie was wearing a print because she's just way too tall -  but she could have probably worn a pair of slacks with a solid top or a jacket with a solid bottom.  She wears her clothes beautifully but she is very very tall esp. in heels.

I wasn't crazy about Delvin's suit either.  Nothing innovative about it.  I'm trying to remember Sergios.  I remember I did like it but I can't remember w/o the link to remind me.  I do give Nancy a lot of credit for having the initiative to enter a show like PR and get a spot at her age.  But I just don't care for her taste.  Looks sloppy to me.  And Veronica - what a hot mess of an outfit that was.  Yes, she has her style and she's sticking to it, but it sure didn't work here.  She said she doesn't like prints, but it went way beyond that - it was really pretty bad. 

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Respected Contributor

Wow - couldn't get over Victoria's attitude when she found she was on the bottom 3. I think the winner reflected the artist's taste but not necessarily what the average person would wear. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I really loved the use of color!

Dayoung was so beautifully done and Delvin that pant suit looked fabulously couture after Christian advised him to make it more fitted and the print color was on point for the model it complimented her complexion beautifully.  I hope they both stay in the competition.  I see that Dayoung is going through some health challenges.

Nancy's model was swallowed up in her designs, they almost needed a rope to pull the model out of all that.

I liked Sergio's as well not so much the over coat but loved the dress.  I got the concept with the cocoonish look.   I had to laugh because he just knew he won that challenge you could see it in his face when they told him he was safe.  

I didn't care for Brittany's at all.

Victoria is such a drama queen and needs to learn how to adapt to the challenges and step out of her safe comfort zone or she will be gone in another week or so.  Her design was a definite snooze, I wouldn't look twice at it.

Honored Contributor

Okay, the recaps are up.  Not sure why they are waiting so long all of a sudden to put them up.

Also, I wanted to add, next week's challenge is an Editorial design.  I admit I have no idea what an Editorial design is so all of my critiques will be strictly about construction and what I personally like instead of whether it fit the challenge.  

Trusted Contributor

Just based on her poor attitude and rude treatment towards the other designers, I would have sent Victoria home. There is no excuse to treat people that way, especially since they were only trying to be supportive. I know designers can be uptight and fickle, but she was over the top. Plus, her design did not reflect what the print and fabric designer wanted.

I think Sergio is also full of himself, but he is a good designer. I hope Nancy can redeem herself...it's nice to see a "mature" designer competing with the younger ones.

Karlie Kloss could wear a dress made from Swiffer Dusters and she would look amazing. She's just beautiful.

Respected Contributor

Victoria is a brat. Her looks are the same every week. She should have gone home. 

Do you think Dayoung is making herself sick because of stress? It seems like every week she is ill again.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've never heard of this Ashley person and didn't care for her artwork.  I'm not a huge lover of prints either so obviously I didn't think her artwork worked well as fabric made into a fashion piece.  

I LOVED Victoria's pantsuit.  I think it was because she totally downplayed the print but I also loved her design (although we've seen variations of it before).  Of the judge's top three, I did like Brittany's the best and knew it was a top contender coming down the runway.  Dayoung's was a close second.  Delvin's pantsuit was perfection with the tailoring but it was just an ordinary pantsuit plus a few details to make it his own.  

I thought Nancy's pants were great but didn't care for the oversized jacket nor her top.  From what I'm remembering, I actually kind of liked Sergio's.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown